BankFodder BankFodder

Sleeper73

Urgent advice needed - purchased van without seeing proof of ownership

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2624 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Been really stupid. Bought van without seeing Id from seller or proof vehicle was his. Guy said he is 3rd owner and bought van off his mate 3 months ago.

Got V5 doc which has been authenticated via AA search but it still is registered in company name from when vehicle was first registered in 2009. I telephoned this company they confirmed van was sold on.

The more I think about it the more I'm worried there is a guy out there with qualified receipt who could claim the van back.

I got a receipt at purchase and visited his house and details but essentially ive paid hard cash for a van without seeing proof of ownership.

Anyone know where I stand on this? Starting to lose sleep :(

I've bought a vehicle before where the owner was also the proprietor of the company using the van. The business went under but there was a transfer of assets a few months beforehand

I take it you went and collected it, or did he drop the van off to you once you had inspected it ?

How did you pay him ?

Have you applied for the V5C in your name and has he posted off his section of it?

Is there anything else in the van, or came with it that might confirm that his 'mate' was also an owner ?

Have you got proof of the advert / auction you saw it on ?

I've bought a vehicle before where the owner was also the proprietor of the company using the van. The business went under but there was a transfer of assets a few months beforehand

I take it you went and collected it, or did he drop the van off to you once you had inspected it ?

How did you pay him ?

Have you applied for the V5C in your name and has he posted off his section of it?

Is there anything else in the van, or came with it that might confirm that his 'mate' was also an owner ?

Have you got proof of the advert / auction you saw it on ?

Was advertised on van trader still have print off. Went to his home to collect. I have new keepers green slip, filled out new keepers details for him to send to DVLA. Made out receipt which he signed and myself but unfortunately did not see ask for Id. Took photograph of V5 before I left. I've also noticed since returning that he dated transfer on V5 as 17th July not 8th November. I have an MOT cert dated late September. The van has no service history. I can prove I never received van before last week as I have full AA engineer report which also states discrepancies on V5. I've been silly I know but I had it in my head that as long as V5 doc was sound (AA check says date and ref on V5 are sound) this would pass as proof of ownership.

You may be liable for any tickets issued between 17th July and 8th Nov plus you may have the DVLA causing hassles but not sure on the latter.

I think you should be more worried about motoring offences during the discrepency dates.

Apply direct to DVLA for a new registration document using a V62 with the correct details. You can download from the DVLA website and print this off or collect a copy from your local main post office.

The V5 is not proof of ownership persay. It is only there to record the registered keeper.

OP should be running an HPI check first.

Did checks came back all fine except only one registered owner as on V5. I contacted DVLA they were not very helpful and basically said I would need to wait unit they have received V5 and any issues would need sorting later. I also contacted seller to amend before sending but he said he had already posted doc to DVLA.