Forum to advise DVLA on preventing private-parking rip-offs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Forum to advise on preventing private-parking rip-offs

[5 November 2012]

Dodgy practices in the private-parking industry have led the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to create an advisory committee of consumer and motoring bodies to help sort out the mess, much of which stems from unclear signs and documents.

The new ‘DVLA Consumer Forum on Private Parking Management’ will include people from the AA, the RAC, Which?, Trading Standards, the Office of Fair Trading and Citizens Advice, as well as Martin Cutts of Plain Language Commission and Nev Metson, the former police officer who has exposed many of the worst private-parking rip-offs.

As we’ve reported, the industry chases drivers for around £160million a year in phoney (ie, non-official) fines for supposedly breaching car-park rules.

The forum will meet twice a year.

http://www.clearest.co.uk/news/2012/11/5/forum_to_advise_on_preventing_private_parking_rip_offs

• 3 weeks later...

The driver of my car recently stopped at Clacket Lane services (M25) after flying in from the USA. He slept for over two hours as he felt he was likely to cause an accident if he carried on. I, as keeper, received a fine notice from CP Plus (I think - I've thrown the notice away) asking for £90. My initial reaction was to argue that road safety was at stake. Am I right in thinking that only the Police can ask who was driving? I am assuming I don't need to pay it just because I am the registered keeper.

Thanks

Cormac:|

I have used the arguement when my daughter received a demand for overstaying at Lidl's car park some time ago. I never heard anything back so it worked.

I've just been looking elsewhere on the site and reading guidance-unpaid-parking-charges and it would appear that I as keeper am liable. Of have I missed something?

I have used the arguement when my daughter received a demand for overstaying at Lidl's car park some time ago. I never heard anything back so it worked.

I've just been looking elsewhere on the site and reading guidance-unpaid-parking-charges and it would appear that I as keeper am liable. Of have I missed something?

Private parking is contract law and before the Protection of Freedoms Act only the driver could enter into the contract. POFA now allows that where the RK doesn't or refuses to name the driver, the PPC can chase the RK.

Other than that, nothing has changed. The PPC still has the hurdle of winning in court to actually be able to enforce it, just as they did before POFA.