Another ATOS death

unclebulgaria67
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Come on, lets keep a perspective about this. These deaths aren't attributable to being told they are fit for work and if you believe anti-conservative propaganda from a Labour newspaper, you must also believe in tooth fairies and santa clause.

Take this latest one, he died the day after being declaired fit for work. Yes it was a rubbish assessment, but how did that kill him.

Lord Haw Haw is still alive and living at the Mirror offices.

If you read the article i am not sure what the papers stance was. It said the family believed atos responsible and we will never know exactly what triggered the heart attack although i suspect it was waiting to happen. I am no fan of ATOS or the Tories but there again i am not convinced in labour. This should transcend party politics. It is about what is right and how we stop people abusing the system without penalizing the genuinely ill

What ever the causes of the deaths, 10 people a day are dying after being told they are fit to work. Disabled and chronically ill people are scared for their lives (as one I know).

The conditions are not quite here yet, but we are heading for a perfect storm of zero benefits and no income. At the moment we have different benefits that while not providing complete protection from destitution, at least mean you should get something. From next year with the introduction UC and the bedroom tax, and the abolition of DLA many people will find themselves with no income and no hope.

Not sure if people realise what it means, when the prospect of going to prison offers a massive improvement in lifestyle. Will this be the return of the workhouse.

How many have died due to an unrelated medical condition? Like the person who has a heart attack or something? There is no proof that all these deaths are to do with ATOS.

Well I can you this much...I haven't been sent a date for my assessment yet, and according to Welfare Rights it could be 2016 by the time they have gone through all those like myself who'll be reassessed, but I'm seriously considering exiting this existence before I even have the stress of it to deal with...bad enough living with my condition but really can't see a future worth living once this all comes into play...IDS is a heartless, inhuman creature who actually believes he is doing the right thing by sick and disabled people...

Edited by 42man

Come on, lets keep a perspective about this. These deaths aren't attributable to being told they are fit for work and if you believe anti-conservative propaganda from a Labour newspaper, you must also believe in tooth fairies and santa clause.

Take this latest one, he died the day after being declaired fit for work. Yes it was a rubbish assessment, but how did that kill him. Most likely the result of the stress involved...worry and stress result in many heart attacks, even in those with low cholesterol and no actual heart disease..!

Lord Haw Haw is still alive and living at the Mirror offices.

Stewey

In reality you do not know how this will affect you as lets face it by 2016 we could have a different government etc etc. I do not doubt the stress and worry you feel but realistically what can you do except keep fighting.

Just one other point,you have no idea what caused the heart attack so statements like the one above and not useful to anyone.

Westfield I was merely pointing out that worry can and does cause heart attacks in otherwise healthy people...stress is a huge killer...not an unhelpful statement but one I feel is very valid given the stressed out lives people lead in these times, whether awaiting an ATOS medical assessment or just going about their daily business.

Hi Stewey.

I do agree that excess stress in a scourge of the modern western world. Of course normal levels of stress are useful to us. All i was trying to say was that although i believe the system is broken people making unfounded accusations can at worse become a self fulfilling proffesey. People are stressed and get a letter about an atom assessment,they read up and get more stressed and then what? See what i mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I take your point Westfield, we can stress ourselves out when there's nothing we can do to change it, only hope for the best when it does come to it, and then appeal if it goes wrong...

Can't we all take a class action case to the European Courts..? Seems they're great for keeping people in the country who don't deserve to be here, maybe they could stop this government doing this to vulnerable people...or at least order a moratorium until the system is made safe and fair..?

Yes I take your point Westfield, we can stress ourselves out when there's nothing we can do to change it, only hope for the best when it does come to it, and then appeal if it goes wrong...

Can't we all take a class action case to the European Courts..? Seems they're great for keeping people in the country who don't deserve to be here, maybe they could stop this government doing this to vulnerable people...or at least order a moratorium until the system is made safe and fair..?

yes Stewey you are spot on but who is going to take a lead as we have lost will to fight just trying to leave our few days in this world as less stress full as possible we can.

• 4 months later...

hi,im new to the forum,in june 2008,i had been summoned to have a medical assesment,due to being on incapacity benifit after having a stroke and being in hospital,i was asked to raise my hands above my head,touch my toes,then sit onto the edge of a table,the assesment officer then asked me about my health,wont go into all the details,but shortage of breath,chest pains and so on,i also informed him that i was waiting on results of having a camera down my throat[cant remember the name of the procedure].to cut a long story short,he failed me,

i appealed as i knew i wasnt not fit for work.

10 MONTHS LATER,i went for my appeal hearing.a panel of 3 people.one was a doctor,and finally they had my medical records turn up,they cancelled an earlier appeal hearing,due to losing my medical records.he[the doctor] almost got on his knees to me,to get in touch with freemans hospital in newcastle.as it turned out that the test results i was waiting for,had shown,that i had a hole in my heart,and also a right to left heart shunt.

the surgeon who operated on me for 4 1/2 hours ,said that i had been a walking time bomb for those 10 months,and could have dropped dead anytime.the operation does not seem to have worked,as i still suffer from lack of breath,and still have tia[small strokes]into double figures now.ive just recieved my esa50 form to fill.yes im worried,and feel rightly worried.because i felt that at my last medical,my symptoms were not even considered.i will ask for this medical,if i have to attend one,to be recorded.

if i could have taken legal action,i would have done so.simply because the guy who failed me.did not appear to even listen to me.

• 2 months later...

Quote from stewy:- " I'm seriously considering exiting this existence before I even have the stress of it to deal with...bad enough living with my condition but really can't see a future worth living once this all comes into play...IDS is a heartless, inhuman creature who actually believes he is doing the right thing by sick and disabled people.."

I feel the same. Suicide may well be my best option if they stop my money (which is very likely). :|

Benefits rules are complex, and although I do try to inform and support people, I may get it wrong because the rules apply to individual claimants and their particular circumstances.