Dan X

My Letting Agent is trying to withold part of my deposit

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2564 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello, I have recently moved out of my flat and after cleaning the place top to bottom with my girlfriend, we have been told by the letting agent that the flat is not clean enough and that they are taking £80 out of our deposit to pay for a cleaner. This is absolute rubbish as the place was left spotless.

Our deposit is held with DPS. I have offered to go back to the flat to have another clean (not that it needs it) but they refused.

How can I challenge this? Is it best to complain to the DPS or should I just threaten the letting agent with legal action? They have really hacked me off because I know that the place was left in perfect order. :-x

What makes matters worse is that I am really relying on the money from the deposit to pay for my new deposit on my new flat.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks:-)

Clean is very subjective eg how clean did you leave the cooker hob? and oven? moved furniture when vacuuming carpet, cleaned windows inside? wiped down paitwork with a damp cloth? By using the same? cleaner LA should get a consistent standard for next T.

If you are aggrieved by cleaning charge, put it in dispute with DPS. Any uncontested deposii should be released to T in about 10 days. A prof domestic could charge £20+ /hr

You should never rely on full deposit being returned in time for payment on next place, as deposit and 1 month rent usually required before keys given. Save up for this during current T is best advice.

Perhaps better in hind sight, but did you take photographs when you left the property? Not very helpful advice to your predicament but always take photographs showing the date and time on entering and leaving. Do you have any evidence as to how clean the house was on entering or leaving? My advice is photograph and document.

I do not intend to offend but my experience in the rental sector in the past 3 years has led me to believe that many agents do not fulfill their job roles; that they lie to ensure landlords do not take their properties elsewhere, that they do not undertake necessary repairs to ensure landlords costs are kept to a minimum, when they do not fulfill their their roles, they are willing to threaten and bully to cover their mistakes to ensure the LL does not take their properties elsewhere. last week I was informed of a family left homeless as a property rented to them was not legally allowed to be let, the deposit was kept and is currently in dispute. I may sound cynical but this is my experience in the private rental sector. I know people who have successfully challenged county court judgements, after being threatened, I know of a letting agent who stated that Shelter and a solicitor were incorrect, they also said they were starting court proceedings in 7 days, and a single parent who was left to live upstairs in a house due to a rat problem, she stopped paying rent and the locks were changed and the house was classed as abandoned, this was not undertaken according to the law and the deposit was returned. This is of course personal experience and based on individual circumstances. I feel that many are intimidated into paying.

As Mariner suggests, save up during the current is the best advice.