style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2467 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, interested to know whats on my credit file but dont want to do anything that might kick up a hornets nest. Had an IVA with DFD appx 6 years which failed in year 2. heard nothing since and we owe appx 60k across around 5 creditors. heard nothing as I say other than some of the creditors send an annual statement? should i get copy of report or leave well alone?

Thanks

I would leave well along unless they start sending letters or pass it on as the saying goes leave sleeping dogs lay.

dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

Can I ask why looking at your own credit file seems to set off a flurry of interest from creditors

Hi, interested to know whats on my credit file but dont want to do anything that might kick up a hornets nest. Had an IVA with DFD appx 6 years which failed in year 2. heard nothing since and we owe appx 60k across around 5 creditors. heard nothing as I say other than some of the creditors send an annual statement? should i get copy of report or leave well alone?

Thanks

Checking your own credit files does not open you to contact, it is viewed only by you and no one else.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Can I ask why looking at your own credit file seems to set off a flurry of interest from creditors

Too many people say that they are suddenly contacted by creditors after checking their credit files, after years of no contact, for there not to be an issue. I am suspecting that DCA's can sign up to some form of alert system, where they are advised of any change on the credit file and this may include you checking your file details.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

A vast majority of CRA users do not have any problems at all CRAs are a usefull tool for personal credit management, creditors are not aware that individuals check the files.

If this was so I for one would not use their services, but I have done so for many years with no problems whatsover, people that I work with and help say the same thing.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Leave well alone. I am sure most dca's get print outs from the cra's showing who has had reports. If you don't believe me try it. I guarantee you will get pestered.

Leave well alone. I am sure most dca's get print outs from the cra's showing who has had reports. If you don't believe me try it. I guarantee you will get pestered.

They report an individual accesses is not seen by anyone and does not impact in any other way, this myth has been around for so long people have come to believe it, had this been happening forums such as CAG would not have room to show all the posts.

DCA's/Creditors DO NOT get printouts regarding personal searches.

Not sure I would trust CRA's since they have changed to finding new ways of making money. Smacks of Big Brother if you ask me. Yes they are absolutely vital for good credit management and we would be in a worse financial position without them, as banks would have difficulty assessing credit risk, so could make matters worse. But they now seem to sell various services and I am not sure that their use of data is properly explained. Perhaps CAG should ask the CRA's, why debtors are suddenly contacted after a credit record check, after years of no contact. Is there an alert system to creditors ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I think this has been explained a number of times, debt purchase companies and DCAs regularly monitor the files of accounts on their books ID checks unrecorded searches etc.,

If they have a new account they will be making new checks at some point.

What does happen is if a debtor makes a credit application approved or not this shows as searches on credit files, of course this will show on files then maybe there will be contact.

I have checked this there is no alert personal searches are just that personal.

I will never be convinced that dca's get no info when certain people get cra reports. I know several whose debts were dormant until getting a report then they were swamped, by several dca's for different debts. No way is it just coincidence. This will never be proved as they won't admit it.

The debts may be dormant but the DCAs will be making regular checks to see if there is any new accounts etc being taken up. To continue this myth is no helping those who need the information, very unhelpful.

I agree with BRIG I think the problem comes about when you check your CRA file and this adds a new address or account to your file.

dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

Found this on the web it makes interesting reading about the CRA and it appears that their interests spread far and wide…..

‘In 1996 GUS plc acquired the US credit reporting business Experian, formerly known as TRW Information Services, from Bain Capital and the Thomas H. Lee Partners.

Like the other major credit reporting bureaus, Experian is chiefly regulated in the United States by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003, signed into law in 2003, amended the FCRA to require the credit reporting companies to provide consumers with one free copy of their credit report per 12 month period. Like its main competitors, TransUnion and Equifax, Experian markets credit reports directly to consumers. Experian heavily markets its for-profit credit reporting service, FreeCreditReport.com, and all three agencies have been criticized and even sued for selling credit reports that can be obtained at no cost’.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experian

DCA's can sign up to an alert service with the Credit Reference Agencies.

If you apply for credit, change your details or apply for your credit report and a DCA have included you onto the alert service, then the credit reference agency will notify the DCA of your personal updates.

This is why so many people get DCA letters through a change of address or by getting a credit report many years down the line.

(Including me, updated Bank details through a move, a week later and DCA (who previously I never had contact with) letter arrives).

Some credit reference agencies now do more than simply collect and sell personal data - they also provide a tracing service for third parties. That means that if you go missing without repaying a debt, they’ll help whoever you owe to track you down.

Extract from... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/credit-reference-agency

Stigman

Edited by Stigman
My spelling is rubbish! Need a spell checker lol

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Well just for the record.

After a long period of inactivity from multiple DCAs, I bit the bullet and signed up for Noddle about a month ago.

Since then Capquest are ringing two or three times a day. Letters arriving from Credit Solutions on a weekly basis and good old Moorcroft and Lowells are trying it on again even though both have recieved Stat Barred letters in the past and agreed with the Stat Barred status!!

It doesnt matter to me because thanks to CAG almost everything is Stat Barred but I do think this is far more than just a coincidence.

Just my experience but in answer to the question I would tell anyone to be VERY careful when deciding to sign up to a CRA.

After years of dealing with these creeps, I would most certainly say that the almost unregulated financial side of this country, ie banks, DCAs, CRAs, etc all definately crap in the same pot!!

I didn't use my real phone number with the CRA's for this very reason.

The other possibility to a CRA alert system, is that the DCA's have the IT available to continually check against credit records and if there is any update it creates their own alert, where they can then start collection activity again.

It would just surprise me if the DCA's had this level of IT available to them and that they were continually checking credit records for updates. Also the DCA's IT systems would have to link to all 3 CRA's, which may not be possible. Hence why I think it is more probable that the CRA's provide alerts to creditors.

I'm getting e-mails and calls from a lot of people who I have helped in the past about suddnen contact from DCAs, these people have not checked CRA files for at least year, yet Capquest, Transcom, Motormile, Lowell and others have popped up out of the blue, im my experience this seems to happen every year a moth or so before Christmas.

wow, lots of information and conflicting opinions. I wanted to sign up for free trial just to see what is on report and understand exactly what my o/s debts are. As I said, since IVA failure have heard very little other than a couple of debts, one with Lloyds tsb for appx 2K which debt chaser changes hands on a frequent basis and I get letters sporadically and the DSS one which CCS have recently started chasing for £2200.

wow, lots of information and conflicting opinions. I wanted to sign up for free trial just to see what is on report and understand exactly what my o/s debts are. As I said, since IVA failure have heard very little other than a couple of debts, one with Lloyds tsb for appx 2K which debt chaser changes hands on a frequent basis and I get letters sporadically and the DSS one which CCS have recently started chasing for £2200.

Well you could always be the test pilot ? Apply for your credit record and then post back in a few weeks, as to whether you are chased for the debts again.

The thing is that if you need to know what is on your credit record, you don't really have a choice and if you are chased for the debts by the latest DCA, at least you can take the relevant action.

I am in no doubt this goes on.

About 2 years ago I checked my file, up to this point I had heard little from creditors for about 3-4 years. Within a month of checking my file I had 4 or 5 of them crawl out of the woodwork and start sending me letters, one even launched a CCJ.

I also started to get letters from bad credit type cards Aqua etc and I remember reading in one of the letters something along the lines "We notice you are trying to improve your credit rating"

Also I recently moved house, I updated my address via my bank. I have had no letters for about a year and today I notice DCA's have started searching my file again. So I am expecting another round of letters!

I firmly believe some sort flag or data is stored on your profile that says when it was last checked/updated and creditors are given access to this because if you are checking your file you usually want to clean it up and possibly pay bills. It also shows that the information is valid and up to date so you are an easier target.

My advice is if you dont need to check your file and you have old debts dont, just lay low!!

It's not the personal checks that produce contacts any use of a financial comparison sites such as looking at credit card 1 click just out of interest on a company such as Capital One or Vanquis has you tagged as trying to improve your credit status even if you don't even make an app, once out there the flood gates are opened.

I disagree, I have never used one of those sites, I think companies like Aqua buy a list from Experian/others of people who A) dont have a good credit rating and B) have checked their file within the last X number of days.

It is not far fetched to believe that.