style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2275 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

money saving tip if you use mobile broadband....

a friend of mine was using a dongle for around 2 years until i discovered that she was paying £15 for just 3gb data allowance. (this was with 3 network)

i am also with 3 network and for £15 i get 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and unlimited internet. (pay as you go, unlimited allowance lasts for a month)

i connect my laptop wirelessly through my phone and enjoy a very cheap phone and internet service.

my friend purchased a new phone for £40 and this connects her to the net and she now enjoys unlimited internet without having to pay £15 every few days!

this works with windows as well as linux... hope this post saves some of you some £££s!

This is called 'tethering'. Make sure you check that you are allowed to do it with your provider as some dont such as GiffGaff and will cut you off if you do it.

yep as said; You do have to be care full doing this, make sure the contract allows tethering!

Fortunately I have an old o2 contract which does allow it, and use 5-6GB a month for free.

Also got a good 3G+ speed at home > 2mb/s.

This is called 'tethering'. Make sure you check that you are allowed to do it with your provider as some dont such as GiffGaff and will cut you off if you do it.

A friend of mine has Giffgaff and does tethering without any issues. I wonder how the provider can guess if you are tethering. I think it is a functionality built in software, not in the service itself.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

A friend of mine has Giffgaff and does tethering without any issues. I wonder how the provider can guess if you are tethering. I think it is a functionality built in software, not in the service itself.
Yep. You can tether on GiffGaff tariffs (Goody Bags) that dont have unlimited internet allowance. So if your friend has the £5 or £7.50 Goody bag then its OK. But if they have a £10 or higher Goody Bag that includes unlimited internet access (data) they risk getting their sim cut off without warning....

SEE HERE

The point is, how can they find out?

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

It's quite simple to see what hardware is going through a network... it can be found via the Mac addresses (all computer / internet connected hardware has a Mac address, and it is individual that they 1 piece of hardware, so it can be identified over a network)

Three allow tethering, so Deano's hint is still valid, and "the one plan" £15 sim only is

2,000 any network minutes

5,000 Three-to-Three minutes

5,000 texts

All You Can Eat internet

If you are just a casual surfer that would cover all your internet needs... You could buy a cheap android phone, put one of them SIMs in it and set it as a WiFi hotspot and use a couple of laptops in one household on it easily providing you have enough coverage. You'd also be able to use the phone for calls and texts.

For coverage check Ofcoms Sitefinder http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search to see if they have a cell site close to you

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

All modern smart phones report when they are being tethered :sad: and most networks want you to pay £5 or more for the pleasure :x...

If you use an Android phone there is an addon called FoxFi (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi.addon) That sends the data is if it was sent from the phone and not an attached device

<<< If I have helped please click my star :-D

Get The Consumer Survival Handbook

All modern smart phones report when they are being tethered :sad: and most networks want you to pay £5 or more for the pleasure :x...

If you use an Android phone there is an addon called FoxFi (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi.addon) That sends the data is if it was sent from the phone and not an attached device

I have an S3 and even with FoxFi, the provider detects that I am tethering. I have to use the bluetooth function of it and that works well for most purposes

I have an S3 and even with FoxFi, the provider detects that I am tethering. I have to use the bluetooth function of it and that works well for most purposes

Foxfi say some networks can detect when connected with wifi, :-x but it appears to work if connected by Bluetooth or USB. :lol::ranger:

All modes work with my galaxy note on :censored: network

I am trying to tether a tablet to it. My problem is that I can't see how to set the proxy in the tablet browser. I'm using either chrome or FF. By the way, FF doesn't work with the bluetooth tether. Only chrome works

To set a proxy goto your wireless settings press and hold the router(phone) you are conected to, click "Modify network config". Tick "Show advanced options" and it will show proxy settings. That is how you do it on android phones so I am guessing tablets are the same. If you make a mistake delete the router(phone) from the list of Wi-Fi networks and start again.

Hope this helps and good luck

Thanks. It is an android tablet. I changed the settings as you suggested by I am getting messages from Chrome that it can't connect to a proxy server.

Thanks anyway - I suppose that I'll stick with the Bluetooth

Sorry I can't help further but I don't own a tablet so can't test it. If I find any other information I'll call back here. :)

Ta