UK Credit Card Debt, but living in France

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Finally, we have come to this!

Work for me in france.... both legal and otherwise is drying up fast.

Now I have to make a decision whether to pay my french living expenses as priority (which is difficult enough now), or to continue to get paid where possible in UK to service my credit card accounts.

Struggling to get my french bank back into credit before 30 days, (a legal requirement), following paying a large bill, I have had to divert all funds away from my UK credit cards for the first time ever.

I failed to make the £200 minimum payment on 24th Oct (MBNA balance: £8000).... and now have received an e-mail asking for immediate payment of £415 (2 months) or for me to contact with my explanation for the non-payment.

HSBC are also phoning, I am guessing about the late payment of that card (28th Oct £160 late payment on balance of £6500)

I'm just a little scared and wondering what to do!

I am 62 and have lived in france since 1999.

HELP!

Your UK banks will do nothing immediately, nor for several months really other than send threatening letters/emails & 'phone calls if they have your number.

These are non-priority debts and should only be paid what you can reasonably afford & if that's only a couple of pounds per month then so-be-it, even a judge would not order any more if it went to a CCJ.

Have there been any unfair charges added to these a/cs over the years & did they have any PPI?

You need to contact your UK Credit Card companies straightaway to let them know of your situation. See what they say. They may be willing to help on a temporary basis.

Your current situation in France is more important than the UK cards, but perhaps these card companies will realise that unless you sort out your finances in France, you will not be in a position to make any repayments to them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanx for your reply.

Apart from the late fees (originally £25, but later reduced to £12), over the years I don't have any serious complaints.

Many times I have made a payment on-line or by post and it seems strange that if I am too near the ' reach your account by ' date, it always seems biased to arriving just too late, thus incurring a fee. (not such a problem now the service is effective within hours of making a payment on-line).

Would you advise me to contact them via my on-line banking account, as they have suggested?

Would you think it a good idea to explain briefly my situation, acknowledge the debt and offer say, £10 per month?

Would they be prepared to freeze the interest charges in your experience?

BTW.... my situation would be resolved overnight if I could only just sell my original house we bought in france. We bought a second, bigger house for complete renovation and have now got to the stage that we are living in it.... and now wish to sell the little house, but the market is very slow and the house has been for sale for 3 years... with reducing asking price and still no takers.

We have foolishly used our savings and credit cards to finish the big house and live, whilst always thinking that the house sale will happen soon!

Now the pot is empty.

If these credit card companies knew I had a second property, could they make any kind of move like a 'lien' on it?

I do appreciate any help and advice,

David

If these credit card companies knew I had a second property, could they make any kind of move like a 'lien' on it?
They would first need to obtain a CCJ then they could put a 'Charging Order' on the property which basically means that they would be seen as a preferential creditor when the property was sold & would be amongst the first to be paid. Technically they could apply for the sale of the property themselves but this is very rare and usually impossible if it is jointly owned. They could also send a Statutory Demand which is a precursor to applying for your bankruptcy, but again this is rare. All of these scenarios are unlikely because you are not a UK resident they cannot obtain a CCJ in the UK unless you have an interest here, the bank would have to apply for a European Payment Order to take any enforcement in France. It is more likely that they will sell the debt on to a debt collection company after several months to clear their books of 'toxic debt' & claim tax relief.

Contact your bank first to arrange a lower repayment, most will accept this for a period. Some will freeze interest & others not, it's a bit of a lottery really.