Gassman29

Can an unrepresented claimant be treated as litigant in person the multi-track?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2530 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Can an unrepresented claimant be treated as litigant in person in the multi-track?

Edited by Gassman29

There is no requirement for representation in any UK Court. However, the higher the Court or the more the complex the case, the more difficult it naturally becomes for an unqualified litigant-in-person.

A Judge could privately recommend that a litigant-in-person seek representation beyond a certain point, maybe even warning them that lack of representation will bring no sympathy, but could never force it upon them.

What does the Civil Procedure Rules say about how unrepresented litigants (claimant) in the multi track should be treated?

The problem here is the case is solicitor repreesented to this point in the Royal Courts of Justice but the solicitor wants more money and my money has run out and this is putting the case at risk. I need to know if I can be treated as a litigant in person in a multi track claim.

You are at liberty to change or dump your representation at any time in the case and therefore become litigant-in-person (although you will need to advise the Court and other parties to the case in writing). You would need to ensure your legal bill is paid up and that, in return, your solicitor arranges for all papers to be handed over to you.

Lack of representation will come with risks and you would need to consider whether you are properly equipped to handle the case yourself (you don't give any details of what it is about). You might want to consider requesting a temporary adjournment or stay while you sort yourself out, but there is no guarantee that it would be granted.

Have you considered asking your solicitor to continue the case pro-bono or on a conditional fee basis?

Those two questions are good points and I think I should ask the solicitor.

Even if it cannot be pro bono or conditional fee, it gives me a stronger case if I asked why I am litigant in person.

This might be hypothetical but,. If the solicitor refuses to return documents to me without settling their bill, would the solicitor attract a liability if the case failed because the documents were not returned when requested?

These documents I handed over include a loss adjusters report and other documents which I paid for from elsewhere.

I am trying to discover what documents can be witheld by a solicitor that prevents legal process to continue because I have run out of money and this could leave me a precarious situation.