Paid stranger's home insurance for 2 years via incorrect DD!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just joined to report on a new PPI claim I've started with NRAM but would like some advice on this little nugget...!

I've moved home a couple of times over the past couple of years (no, not avoiding anyone!!) just a bit :madgrin: crazy I suppose!

For two house purchases, I sought the advice of a local IFA who is a REALLY good bloke and provided sound advice.

In June of this year I decided to switch bank accounts and most of the DD transfers were sorted out by my new bank, however, they had a problem with one of my regular payments - "Select & Protect". Now, I had seen the name on my statements online but always assumed it was some kind of life insurance I took out via the IFA. After some investigating, it turns out "Select & Protect" do house insurance. :?:

It seems my IFA had pre-filled a form with my details assuming I would take out house insurance with him. I didn't as I got cheaper quotes elsewhere.

He somehow mixed up my details with a completely separate client who I don't know from Adam and this was sent to Select & Protect who promptly set up a DD from my account. This was August 2010 and they even increased the premium in 2011. (I know, I should have realised earlier!!). Obviously any correspondence regarding the insurance policy went to the policy holder and I was none the wiser.

I complained to S&P, they tried to get me to claim the money back from the IFA so I instead claimed via my bank and received a full refund of £700

Then the numpties took ANOTHER payment from me over a month after I had initially raised the issue. I went to my bank again and got another refund for the payment. At the same time, I complained to S&P and initially unknown to me, they also reversed the payment to my account.

I decided to make a formal complaint to S&P due to their incompetence and lost interest on the money they had taken from me over the 2 years. They rejected this and said I had to claim from the IFA, they also said they wanted their £36 back which had been effectively double-refunded for the last monthly payment.

I've since not bothered doing anything as I don't want to cause my IFA any more grief but do I have a valid claim against Select & Protect for accepting unsigned DD mandates and failing to conduct any checks when policy holder names and payee names don't match?

Should I give them their £36 back or hold it for 2 years first?? :|

Thanks,

David (apologies for the long post)

get the two years back from your bank

under the DD guarantee

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx,

Thanks - I did get it all refunded but was wondering if there should be any redress for their lack of security, lost interest on money taken from my account and general incompetence?

I'm currently £36 up anyway - perhaps I'll just keep this...?

when you invoked the DD guarantee

that should have been addressed.

so you paid a DD for £36PCM for ?? months before realising?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ah, I thought it was simply a refund of money paid out via the DD and not other financial claims.

It's not a big deal really but yes, 23 months of payments before realising! (The first 12 months were at a lower premium) My excuse is that I was busy with other things and never expected a mistake like that.

It is a bit scary that a DD mandate can have any old person's details on it, be unsigned and be accepted. In theory, all a fraudster would need is a cheque or debit card to start the [problem].

You are entitled to 8% interest on the incorrect payments and a relevant amount for compensation.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread