filling in the ATOS form for a mental illness

iceblue15
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just received a form to fill in from ATOS for my migration from income support to ESA. Please can someone recommend any websites or information about how best to make points relevant to mental illness on the form ?? Also, is there a list on a website somewhere of how they score points from this form so that you can get an idea of where you stand?

I have had a look at the form and am finding it overwhelming.

Thanks for any help.

I would strongly advise getting a well informed disability advisor to complete the form for you. It is a form at face value that is easy to complete. I would go further to say that it invites you fail yourself by just ticking boxes and not supplying detail required to explain fully. Again you may fall foul of the human condition of putting a brace face on your ailments. I think , someone will surely advise with more info, that some things you may get points for arnt asked on the form.

Here is a link for rethinks pdf guide. I havnt read it and so i do not know if its uptodate. (june 2012 was last update)

http://www.rethink.org/document.rm?id=10911

Thanks for your reply. I shall look at rethinks guide. Do you know where I would find a well informed disability advisor who is experienced with ATOS forms? I know that Mind have advocates, but I don't know of anyone available with that kind of expertise for mental health.

Thanks for your reply. I shall look at rethinks guide. Do you know where I would find a well informed disability advisor who is experienced with ATOS forms? I know that Mind have advocates, but I don't know of anyone available with that kind of expertise for mental health.

You could try CAB or your local council may have a welfare advisor or similar. Otherwise try Rethink for advice - if they can't provide someone to help they may be able to suggest a local organisation to try.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Its a tricky benefit , they like to make assumptions and infer you are capable of more from insignificant details. They might infer from that by you completing the form your reasoning and understanding abilities arnt hindered (they dont know it may have taken you 3 or more weeks to complete a few questions.) If you turn up alone at an assessment you had no problem orgainising and making the trip. I hope you get what i mean.

And yes i agree with reallymadwomen you have to detail everything, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you. It isnt suffient just to say suffer from anxiety but you have for to detail how it affects you and what it prevents you from doing. Thats why i suggested a well informed disability advisor, they should hopefully have the language skills and abilities to describe in a factual way your claim. I reiterate that comment of an advisor because mental health is so subjective and still think a belittled condition.