What type of refund do you get if found not guilty in the crown court?

snugs1235
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone can give me any advice.

A close relative of mine was falsely accused of assualt. The case got as far as the crown court but was thrown out by the judge on the first day due to it being a farce. My relative spent a lot of money on his defence. He was not entitled to legal aid because he owns his own house.

Does anyone know what happens when a person is found not guilty? Can he apply for a refund and if so is there a system that calculates entitlement?

His solicitor said she will look into it but we are curious as heck right now.

Thanks

Its not a refund snugs its known as Costs...

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Take a look here at the sticky..this is civil claims of course but the end is about costs and what types and how calculation is agreed. :- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?356814-The-Process-of-Litigation-Court-Claims

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Things are a bit different when it comes to the criminal law.

Your friend needs to speak to their legal advisors as they will get a refund but they need to apply for it.

Who pays privately?

If your client is facing proceedings in the Crown Court the means test will determine the amount they will need to contribute towards their defence costs; this could be from their income, their capital or a combination of both. If your client is found not guilty, any payments made will be refunded with interest. However, your client still has the right to choose to decline legal aid and pay for their costs privately.

If your private paying client is found not guilty, they can apply to reclaim some or all of their defence costs from central funds. This is a separate source of funding from legal aid that is managed by the Ministry of Justice.

The maximum that can be reclaimed is the same as would have been paid by legal aid.

http://www.legalservices.gov.uk/criminal/criminal_legal_aid_eligibility.asp

Hi nicklea,

thanks very much for that. I had a look and it was very helpful.

It does appear that my relative will not be getting back anywhere near what he spent because he chose his own barrister. It is so wrong that although being innocent he has been put through this and it has cost him so much.

Hopefully his legal team will work as much magic as they can :-)

Thanks

Hi nicklea,

thanks very much for that. I had a look and it was very helpful.

It does appear that my relative will not be getting back anywhere near what he spent because he chose his own barrister. It is so wrong that although being innocent he has been put through this and it has cost him so much.

Hopefully his legal team will work as much magic as they can :-)

Thanks

No problem.

Although it is a far from perfect system, I would much rather spend the money and get top class representation rather than risk being found guilty of something.