bcham

55year old male needs training?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2593 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

just been to the work programe ,and my advisor,says i am not doing very well finding work,

so she sugested training for something different from warehouse work and packing, which is all ive done most of my life.

she said what about construction work,i said i think i am to old and out of shape for that kind of work, so she said think about what you can train for to get a job,so ive been thinking but i cant think of anything,any ideas.?

Well, if it's training "for a job" you want, then you are limited to training for a WP Advisor, JobCentre Advisor, DWP Advisor, Appeals Tribunal Clerk... or an Undertaker!

If it's just training you want, I'd go for Astronaut. That should take you comfortably up to retirement age.

We came up with the following one afternoon after a friend suffered the same advice

Training for intergalactic air stewardess with Virgin - but would be past pension age when service becomes viable

Lion tamer as have had 5 cats during lifetime, all living to 16-17

Window cleaner - but get vertigo so can only do ground floor

There were some really wild ones as well to help you fill in the form they give you for the JSA (in the wake of the DM programme about the rubbish people put on them).

Phoned local scaffold company to get pole installed so can practice pole dancing

Phoned hairdressers to find out if they accepted bald men as hairdressing trainees

I am 55 in January and hopefully might be able to draw on a small pension early, anything has to be better than the current crop of job applications and their friendly Prospects (one of our local A4E providers), best thing about that is they have moved to two streets away from me so I said if they get any cancellations on the day for their workshops ring me and I will be round in 15 minutes.

Retail work B&Q like to employ mature staff. Social Work or Youth Work . Bartender , thinking about bowling social clubs. Call Centres plenty of them. Driver.

Chef.

Might be an idea to ahve a look at type of work going in surrounding area and pick one or any of them

Or if you fancy a move to Paisley (not recommended ) they're advertising for a Warehouse manager.

Where do they get these advisers from? Billy Smarts? To tell someone at the age of 55 to re-train for construction is lunacy! Most people of that age already working in construction are physically done for, I had had it by the age of 45, knees shot, back gone, and lungs on their way out, construction is best left to the young, fit, and stupid.

Who realistically wants to train someone who has maybe ten years productive working life left? Not many firms I'm willing to wager, there are plenty of 55 year-old's with loads of qualifications and experience on the scrap heap as it is, I know, I'm one of them.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

I will be one in a few weeks, I have better typing skills than most, better spelling (was taught properly) and have qualifications.

To satisfy their 'further training' criteria I am doing an NVQ Level 2 in Customer Services, not one of my areas of work (which again proves to 'them' I am willing to do other things) and this year I did a Level 2 course in Ethnicity & Diversity.

The trouble with the current government is they have put so much emphasis on young people getting a good work ethic to keep them from the horrors of the benefit system that they have forgotten the people who already have this work ethic, I still get up at 6am most mornings even though I could lay in bed all day - not something I do unless I am really ill.

The whole system is geared to 'family support' too so when you are a single person over 54 there is nothing out there, Age Concern aren't bothered as you 'are not a pensioner' and CAB pass the buck to Age Concern (at least they do in my area). Age Concern tried to get me debt collecting advice but soon realised I only have the one debt and then dropped me as they could not help.

Im sure itll be trying to push the more advanced in years onto these mickey mouse apprenticeships, you know shlelf filling and the like posing as a retraining option. Sorry if that sounds jaded but thats the honest opinion of mine about those schemes.

My local centre has moved nearer home, and a short stagger from one of my watering holes..... I too have a very jaded view of these places, they seem to be designed to make sure people who already can do stuff themselves are lumped in with the ones who really do need spoon feeding.

I've given up even trying to find a job now. Planning for my next cruise instead..