• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Had confirmation from Wonga I paid, now they've served a default notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon all,

I took a small pdl from Wonga which I paid back on time last week.

Got the usual thank you text, but this morning I have a default email from them saying I haven't paid. I've gone onto their automated system to see how much they think I owe, and (no surprise) the robot said I owed nothing.

Tried calling to speak to a human, but I keep getting cut off.

I've responded to their email asking them to check their error and confirm that the default notice will be removed from my credit file within 24 hours, or I will report them to the financial services ombudsman.

Is there anything else I should do please? I'm trying so hard to clear up my financial history - I really don't need this now.

Thanks very much.

hi there

the same thing happened to me today, i got the thank you text and email on thursday, logged into my account a few days later, no live loans and no outstanding balance! at first i thought it was fraud but then i think its probablies an error with there payment system.

did they take any more money out your account after the email?

i responded to there collections email address asking where they have got this balance from.

what contact number did you use? i plan on ringing them tomorrow.

Same happenned to my gf. I have emails as well. Both dated 31st Oct stating that they are having problems with their system then one saying thank you for payment. Payment was due on 1st November like both of yours but gf paid a day early. So seems to be for payments due on 1st Nov 2012. No doubt I am drawing up a very polite email to them.

What I am trying to find out is.

1) Can a default notice be issued after just 1 day? (I assumed it was after 3 months)

2) Can a default notice be issued via email or does it have to be in paper form?

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Have I been of any help to you? if so please click my scales to the left to enhance my reputation. Thank you. If not PM me.

Nationwide - won claim 

Advice & opinions of mahharg are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Same happenned to my gf. I have emails as well. Both dated 31st Oct stating that they are having problems with their system then one saying thank you for payment. Payment was due on 1st November like both of yours but gf paid a day early. So seems to be for payments due on 1st Nov 2012. No doubt I am drawing up a very polite email to them.

1) Can a default notice be issued after just 1 day? (I assumed it was after 3 months)

2) Can a default notice be issued via email or does it have to be in paper form?

1. i myself thought it was odd they have issued a default notice after a couple days the payment was due! i think its after 60 days, i maybe wrong, which makes me believe it is an error with there payment system.

2. i am almost certain it has to be in paper form, ive never heard of a default notice being issued by email!

one things for sure i am watching out for this 20 pound default notice apparantly that was active on our payment due date and shall be requesting it back if it gets taken.

i am not going to play hell with them as it could just be an issue with there system, just as long as they dont take out the extra money i somehow owe them on top of what ive already paid.

i'll let you know if i get a response by email.

Oops, we're having some problems

This notice is hereby served upon you.

DEFAULT SUM NOTICE

THIS NOTICE IS SERVED UNDER SECTION 86E OF THE CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974

DATED 2012-11-01

Details of agreement

This notice relates to the fixed sum credit agreement regulated under the Consume Credit Act 1974, agreement 0000xxxxxxxx.

Parties to the agreement

Wonga.com Ltd. trading as Wonga.com ("We", "Us", "Our", "the Creditor")

88 Crawford Street,

London W1H 2EJ

Tel: 0844 842 9109

And

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx ("You", "Your", "the Debtor")

xxx blah balh road

Town

Post code

The following default sum is payable.

A default sum of £20 for missed payment of your loan on the repayment date became payable on 2012-11-01.

This Notice does not take account of default sums which we have already told you about in another default sum notice, whether or not those sums remain unpaid.

The total amount of all default sums included in this notice is £20.

Yours Sincerely

Collections Department

www.wonga.com

0844 842 9109

My main concern is if they post a default on the credit files when clearly it will be false information. I am sure the notice is unenforceable.

1) It should state the whole amount outstanding not just the default charge.

2) There should be a date by which you can pay the outstanding therefore cancelling the action.

I'm not 100% sure but hopefully someone in the know will enlighten us.

I've just sent off an email.

I know that writing is best but if you need to speak to Wonga 02071388331

I will update if I get reply.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Have I been of any help to you? if so please click my scales to the left to enhance my reputation. Thank you. If not PM me.

Nationwide - won claim 

Advice & opinions of mahharg are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

My main concern is if they post a default on the credit files when clearly it will be false information. I am sure the notice is unenforceable.

2) There should be a date by which you can pay the outstanding therefore cancelling the action.

yep thats exactly the same mail i got, im sure its just a mistake with there systems as the 3 of us all had payments due on the 1st nov, although i got no mail advising there was an issue with there payment system.

after reading some experiences about ppl calling them i might just wait to see what they reply with.

what email address did you use?

I replied to the default notice "wonga.com" plus [email protected] both gave automated reply so proof that they have it.

My gf got the "system problem" email on 31st October because she paid a day before the due date (1st Nov).

It certainly seems like a system problem. The thing is will they ensure that it is fixed or just let it go on and on?.

This could scare some people causing them to rack up a very large phone bill

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

yeah i know some people might constantly ring them to keep trying to find out what it is,

ah i didnt use the customer care address, i'll see if i get a reply first and if not i'll use this one.

hey i wouldnt be suprised if they do this on purpose so people do ring up so they can make more money out of us !

as long as the money doesnt come out, they confirm its there error and we dont get charged the default sum then all should be ok.

hi there

the same thing happened to me today, i got the thank you text and email on thursday, logged into my account a few days later, no live loans and no outstanding balance! at first i thought it was fraud but then i think its probablies an error with there payment system.

did they take any more money out your account after the email?

i responded to there collections email address asking where they have got this balance from.

what contact number did you use? i plan on ringing them tomorrow.

No, they haven't taken any more money (so far). I called both numbers they supplied in their default email and tried all the automated options. Couldn't raise anyone to talk to. Their standard response email claims they try to respond within 24 hours. Well that's passed, so not sure what my next axtion should be..Any luck on raising them by phone yet?

That's interesting - look forward to their response to those questions..

That's exactly my concern mahharg, I have enough bad marks on my credit file without Wonga adding false ones

no i decided against ringing them after reading other peoples experiences with them.

and the default notice has to be done by letter and it certainly cant be done after a few days,its totally wrong.

im still waiting response by email as well.

have they taken the 20 pound default sum off you?

my payment isnt on my bank statement yet so i cant tell

and the default notice has to be done by letter and it certainly cant be done after a few days
I though so. However if it can't be done after a couple of days, There has to be a defined minimum. I am trying to find out exactly what it is.

If Wonga don't reply to my emails I will be taking a trip to their London offices to let them know how diabolical their systems are and to get some answers. It is only 20 minutes away.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

Go to the OFT who are already investigating this company, this is inexcusable and will have a lasting detrimental affect on your ability to get credit in the future.

I'm waiting to check credit file entries in a month or 2 before I take it further. I may use the county court route instead of the OFT if I have to take it further.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

Why wait, what they have done is WRONG NOW, waiting will give your complaint less 'clout'.

The more people who initiate a complaint earlier the more the OFT get to build up a picture of the behaviour of the company and its inept administration procedures (seems to be a key feature of the 'get rich quick' brigade). If you leave it for a couple of months then the OFT won't know soon enough that the company have changed its admin procedures again.

Basically, as I keep saying lately, no point posting on here if you are not going to follow the advice given, which is to complain NOW.

I do hope you have protected your bank account from this lot.

For all enquiries, guidance on the work of OFT and to report anti-competitive or other behaviour by a trader or traders, please email [email protected]. Please be aware that the OFT cannot provide advice or assistance to individual consumers or traders.
I think that's the email address I need. I notice that it is not there to deal with individual disputes. It is there to gather evidence of companies not treating consumers correctly. So yes sillygirl1 the more that complain then the more the OFT may do something about it. Even though it is just a threatening email at this stage, albeit maybe an admin error, it is something that their licence doesn't permit.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

Thanks - I will. I don't want to leave it too long or let things go too far. Hopefully these things are just randomly generated emails and nothing else, but I want the assurance that there's nothing on my file pdq, and an apology!

That is your main point of argument, if they properly administrated this system you should NOT have received a default notice, and there should be no further action from them (bet you will be played around a lot here).

The trouble with a lot of these 'automated' administration systems is nobody seems capable (or able) of spotting when something is wrong, or is bothered to push the stop button at the right time.

Just wondering when people complain via email to the OFT. Does the OFT require full details as in name address account number etc? I'm asking because as mentioned on their website they don't deal with individual cases, they simply gather all complaints to ascertain whether or not a company is not performing as it should.

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

Just wondering when people complain via email to the OFT. Does the OFT require full details as in name address account number etc? I'm asking because as mentioned on their website they don't deal with individual cases, they simply gather all complaints to ascertain whether or not a company is not performing as it should.

I would imagine that as long as you supply your own contact details along with your story, that should do. If they need more detailed information then they will contact you...?

Afternoon all,

I took a small pdl from Wonga which I paid back on time last week.

Got the usual thank you text, but this morning I have a default email from them saying I haven't paid. I've gone onto their automated system to see how much they think I owe, and (no surprise) the robot said I owed nothing.

Tried calling to speak to a human, but I keep getting cut off.

I've responded to their email asking them to check their error and confirm that the default notice will be removed from my credit file within 24 hours, or I will report them to the financial services ombudsman.

Is there anything else I should do please? I'm trying so hard to clear up my financial history - I really don't need this now.

Thanks very much.

Well today I finally got a response to my email, but it didn't confirm the default wasn't valid or removed - just that I had paid and nothing is outstanding.

No admission or apology.

Have responded to the effect that I want an answer regarding the default notice and an explanation for the email. When I get that response I'll be forwarding it to the OFT!

Well today I finally got a response to my email, but it didn't confirm the default wasn't valid or removed - just that I had paid and nothing is outstanding.

No admission or apology.

Same here. I will not accept this as an answer to my complaint and they have till Monday to send a proper reply..

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

Got phone call today my gf let me speak and I said in no uncertain terms that I require in writing:

1) Confirmation that payment as been made in full on time

2) Confirmation that No adverse credit file entries will be made

3) An apology.

I was advised that an email would be sent straight away followed by a letter. I received this within 30 minutes.

Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your email.

We can confirm you currently have no outstanding balance with us, and your loan is closed in full on 01 November 2012.

If you’ve had an email from us with different information, please ignore it. This email was automatically generated and sent accidentally. We’re sorry for this mix up.

We’ll contact the relevant credit reference agencies to let them know you have settled your loan as agreed on 01 November 2012. Please be aware that it may take up to 14 days for the credit reference agencies to update your records.

If you have any further queries, please give us a call.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused. Thanks also for your patience.

Best wishes,

Customer Care

020 7138 8330

In light of the fact of this email and pending letter I am satisfied that my gf's situation has been rectified. I will still be checking my files.

The worrying thing for you others on this thread and anybody else in the same boat is that the email states that that Wonga are having to contact the Credit Reference Agencies to inform them that my gf has settled in full as agreed.

Does this mean that unless you get in touch with them that your files will be updated as defaulted? Notice the phone number within the email from Wonga - 020 7138 8330

I know that Wonga use Call Credit. If you want to check your Call Credit file for free sign up to www.noddle.co.uk

You will get a free credit report every month.

Or if you have a capital One account you can get 2 free Equifax reports when you want them plus every month you get email alerts of any changes to your files. Not bad for nothing if you are using Capital one anyway.

Good luck one and all.

Edited by mahharg

Knowledge is Power

Go get em!

Nationwide - won claim 

You really must get this to the OFT, it clearly shows that Wonga have grown too big for their administration system to handle and do not seem to be capable of fulfilling the requirements of their licence to provide a service fit for purpose.

As I keep saying here, if you do not complain to the OFT about this 'mishap' you could be doing yourself a future injustice - imagine four years down the line being refused a loan or mortgage because this company marked your file at a later date as disputed.....

Wonga use all three agencies, Experian, Equifax and Callcredit and possibly some of the more 'secret' ones like Hunter.... don't just assume because one agency is clear the others will be - they do not necessarily 'share the information platform' with eachother.