Suspended from work - don't know why?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3776 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I've been suspended from work on full pay, pending investigation and without prejudice however I am not sure why. The reason given and the reason in their letter is for misusing social media and breach of data protection but I'm not sure what they're referring too. I've tried twice now to find out specifics of their allegations but they're not telling me. I was suspended at 5.35pm on Friday and I've been asked to attend a investigatory interview on Monday lunch time which gives me no time to seek advice from anyone.

Does my employer have to give me the specifics of the allegations? I really don't think it's fair that I'm expected to attend an interview without having a clue what it's about and would like to prepare myself prior to the interview.

Also - have they given me enough notice to attend a interview? Bearing in mind that I cannot get any legal advice during a weekend and it would be extremely difficult to speak to HR prior to the interview on Monday.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advice for helping :-)

Hi there

As this is an investigatory meeting, your employer has acted correctly. The whole point is to effectively catch the employee off guard without allowing them time to concoct a defence, so it's fairly common for this to happen!

If they do move to a disciplinary though, you have the right to know the allegations against you, see any evidence, be informed of the potential outcome and be given reasonable notice of the hearing, with the right to be accompanied by a colleague or trade union rep.

Hi there

As this is an investigatory meeting, your employer has acted correctly. The whole point is to effectively catch the employee off guard without allowing them time to concoct a defence, so it's fairly common for this to happen!

If they do move to a disciplinary though, you have the right to know the allegations against you, see any evidence, be informed of the potential outcome and be given reasonable notice of the hearing, with the right to be accompanied by a colleague or trade union rep.

Hi thanks for that, much appreciated. Is it normal to be suspended whilst still in an investigation stage even if none of their claims constitute gross misconduct as per their policies or is it just considered on a case by case basis?

Thanks again

Well, it's possible given the nature of the allegations that they could be concerned about you attempting to cover something up. Suspension is a neutral action which allows an employer to investigate without the employee intervening, so suspension at this stage is normal.

It is still possible to be disciplined on gross misconduct grounds even if the offence isnt specifically listed in the disciplinary policy, it is a case by case basis. They need to act reasonably in each situation.

You must have said something on Twitter or Facebook that someone has read.

+1

Maybe you posted something that could be read as negative about the company or someone in it? (Let us know after your meeting what is being alleged, rather than posting here today that you had a dig at your manager on Facebook).

Some organisations are more sensitive to this than others. A tax payer funded organisation will have very little tolerance for this, as will any company with a large brand image (e.g McDonalds).

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

Sorry I didn't respond, I forgot all about this thread and account I had.

Just to let you know, I ended up putting in a grievance for them failing to follow procedure - which was upheld and I was reinstated with immediate effect - I resigned shortly after as I got a better job offer elsewhere!

Hi guys

Sorry I didn't respond, I forgot all about this thread and account I had.

Just to let you know, I ended up putting in a grievance for them failing to follow procedure - which was upheld and I was reinstated with immediate effect - I resigned shortly after as I got a better job offer elsewhere!

Hello again.

Thank you for updating us. I'll close your thread now.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3776 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks