Tax credit overpayment

happy hippy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4191 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help? I've received working and child tax credits for a few years. In May this year my daughter reached 20 years old so I thought I would lose the credit for her, but I lost all the tax credit instead. I wasn't shocked as I just thought it was due to new government rules. About a fortnight later, my renewal forms came through but because my money had stopped I reckoned it was just their right hand didn't know what their left hand was doing and threw them away. As far as I was concerned, that was the end of the matter until today when I got a letter saying that I owe £800 because of overpayment. I rang and they told me it was because I should have sent the forms in to finalise everything and they said they had written to me in august about it but I didn't get the letter. So it looks like its my own stupid fault but if I had sent the forms in, I would have qualified for the money so it seems a bit harsh. The person I spoke to today says I have run out of time andhave to pay it back. Is there anything I can do?