unjust late payment on credit file from capital one

gypsysaffy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me. I paid off my capital one credit card in February and then in March asked them to close the account by letter. I kept checking back and it wasnt cancelled but i just thought it was taking a bit of time.

I forgot all about it then and in October of this year received a late payment marker on my credit file, this was for an Annual charge and then a late payment fee of £12 as soon as I realised what had been going on I contacted Capital one and they refunded the late charge.

I then emailed them several times explaining what had happened and they said they would pass it on to their credit control and I would hear back from them within 2 weeks, that passed and still heard nothing, this time they said they would write to me, I then received a letter this morning saying I am pleased to inform you that I have checked the credit agencies and yes we have registered a late payment on your file.

My argument is Yes I did write to close the account they said they didnt receive it. I have not used the account at all since then and did not even activate the new card they sent me.

I know it is only their word against mine but I know i sent to close the account and feel that yes I should have kept checking but just forgot after a while, but why should they be allowed to put another annual charge on and then report it as late.

Please can anyone advise me who i can complain to now as I know I sent that letter and feel I am being penalised by them for something that should have not even gone on the account as it should have been closed. Any help from anyone would be really appreciated. Sorry if it is a bit long winded but I just wanted to explain fully.

Edited by citizenB
formatting

In that case you should send them an SAR which unfortunately will cost £10 but should show your letter if it was received. You can also ask for transcrips of any recorded calls.

If the sar shows your letter was received and not actioned, then not only can you demand they remove the cra record, (not change it to satisfied), you would be able to claim back you £10 and any other costs incurred.