Council Tax, Working Tax Credit and Pension Credit.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Next year I will lose my Working Tax Credit under the new rules because I will be over the age when I could claim Pension Credit. My business pays me little or nothing although I have invested in it heavily in the hope to make an income for myself. I do not think I should necessarily go on getting WCT when the business is not contributing to my income at this point but I am loath to claim Pension Credit as I would like to go on running the business - in hope! How will the council look at me not claiming Pension Credit. If I did claim it all my Council Tax will be paid as opposed a proportion of it as it is at the moment. If I don't my income will actually be less but I might, just might, make a little from the business during the year. My aim is, of course, to earn enough so that I can pay all my Council Tax and not be dependent on any benefit even if my income is small. I can just about get by on my Pension without claiming Pension Credit but if I have to pay Council Tax I will not be able to do so, and will have to claim the tax credit and will be mired in the benefits system much more than I want to be.

Any help/suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you both. I didn't know I could claim and earn even a little bit. I will try and find out what the disregard is. I know Pension Credit is a gateway benefit and that worries me a bit as you get so emmeshed in the system with these. However, I have to be sensible and, at this time of life, adding to your income becomes more difficult so it probably has to be done.