Gone on Half Pay at Work due to sickness. Help!

the tinkerman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Was wondering if anyone could give some advice for a friend of mine who has a family and mortgage, he has been off work for quite a while with Disc Problems in his back and when he received his wage this month he has had a 50% reduction to his pay, can he get any help from anywhere else or not, as not got a clue myself were he stands.

Tinks

Sounds like he's on company sick pay...one of these schemes where it's full pay for a period of time, then half pay, then SSP.

In addition to tax credit, he may wish to submit a claim for council tax benefit; this is means tested, so whether he is eligible will depend on his income/capital.

It would also be worth speaking to his mortgage provider, to establish if there is anything that they can do to take the pressure off such as a mortgage holiday for example.

If he has internet access, he can visit http://www.entitledto.com and input his details. It will generate a result of what he may be able to claim based on the data he inputs. Failing that, we'd need a lot more information before we could say for certain what he would qualify for.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

He got 3 months full pay from work but now it just states on his wage slip OSP 50% which I presume stands for Occupational sick pay, He is currently going to a back rehabilitation center to see if that will help and has to see the doc in another couple of weeks.

Been told via a mri scan that he has got degenerative disc disease were one of his discs has basically worn to nothing. consultant stated operation out of question at mo as could make matters worse, at the mo his wife is doing most things about the house and kids are helping to, but he can dress himself etc but it is very painful all the same, don't think he could claim c tax benefit as the form they send you have to put full years income on it, don't think they would take into account your financial situation month to month, same applies with tax credits I think?

Council tax benefit will ask for his last 5 weeks or 2 months payslips. Tax Credit does take into account the amount worked out over the year but again, it's still worth applying if his income is low. I always say to people that all you can lose by applying is a few minutes of your time completing the forms.

In respect if his reduced ability to care for himself, he may be eligible for disability living allowance - this has nothing to do with earnings, people can get it in or out of work if they meet the qualifying criteria. I'd strongly urge you to advise him to visit a welfare rights office or CAB to request a full benefit check. They will also assist him in completing any forms.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)