Fraud Dispute with Ladbrokes Bet

wales342
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to Everyone.

I wonder if you can help me.

On 2006 on Dec 6th someone placed a bet of £1000 on criket match.

I only noticed on the 25th Jan 2007 when I contacted Ladbrokes to report fraud,went to the Police to get a crime ref number,changed my bank card.

I thought everything was sorted out,but this year I was advised that £1000 wasn't refunded back to me.

So I had it investgated,got a refund of £25 for poor customer service for not getting the fraud investgation done.

When investgated it they advised it was different IP address used,not the same ip address of the address I was with my partner,but they informed me that they wouldn't refund me because someone must have had my card to set up the bet.

So I have passed it to the FSA,but waiting for the fsa advisor to get Barclays to explain their selfs.

What else can I do ?

I have had my partner has witness to prove that I wasn't at the place where the bet was made,the ip address number different to prove it.

I will be looking forward for some help.

Thanks

Hi Wales,

When all this happened in 2006 and 2007, did the bank originally refund the £1K to your a/c.

When did the bank tell you they were NOT refunding the amount, or they took the refunded amount back.

Was there any other card misuse late 2006 or early 2007.

Unfortunately, your partner will not be considered to be a credible witness in backing up your version of events.

When did you complain to the FSA about this prompting them to investigate.

Is there a good reason why events from 6 years ago are being dealt with now. :???:

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for quck reply.

No Barclays didn't refund me.

No there wasn't no other bets made.

It took over 6 years because Barclays didn't investgate it properly.

The FSA are investgating now,reported it to them on July.

They admit that the ip address number of my partner address wasn't used for the bet,but my card number was used so they are saying that it's my fault that my card has been used.

Hi Wales,

The chances of getting this investigated thoroughly now are probably limited because of the time that's passed since the fraudulent card use.

:sad:

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

You may run into some difficulty now in obtaining a refund, due to the amount of time that has passed.

Another consideration in this type of fraud (online bets) is if the bet had won, the winnings would normally be credited back to the card used on the account. In otherwords, any winnings would have been credited to your account.

This is the case now, not sure about six years ago, sorry.

You'll find it incredibly difficult to make the claim stick for the reasons pointed out above.

Try to explain how someone could have accessed the security code on your card without your consent. Given it was 2006 it may have been a chip & pin replacement. In some cases the old card's details matched the new, which is of course a huge security risk even if the old card is cut up before being thrown out. See if you can get the bank to confirm. SAR if necessary.

You should also try and explain how the fraudster would have benefitted from the crime. It will be very tough given the time passed but you could try contacting Ladbrokes for details of any referral based bonuses offered during that period, or ask them to confirm if winnings in 2006 could have been credited without using the same card details.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes this what I'm ignored about because I thought it was investgated by the fraud team.

I had a goodwil for Barclays not investgating it,but I can prove that the ip address number of the address the fraud claim It wasn't me.

The only way I can think someone got my card details l I wrote on my notepad on my laptop,that would mean inside job.

I went to the police got a crime ref number,cancelled my card when I know.

Any ideas

IP addresses can be faked/maniplulated, although a lot has changed since 2006, you say you can prove it..have you got the IP/ISP records from 2006 ?. I'm not sure that your ISP would be able to back up your story given its so long ago.

What do you mean by 'inside job' ?

Why have you done nothing about this over the last six years ?. Most people would find this very odd, I myself have been victim of credit card fraud and had money refunded, if it wasnt...I sure would of chased them, not wait so long.

As Im sure you are aware there is a 6 year statute limitation which mans it may now be unlikely you could bring any legal action. (although there maybe ways around this).

Andy

Hi Wales,

If you wanted this investigated thoroughly, it should have been reported when the bank said they were not refunding the £1000 and offered only £25 as compensation.

I thought everything was sorted out, but this year I was advised that £1000 wasn't refunded back to me.

Surely you knew back in 2007 that the £1000 had not be refunded to your account. But in your comment above, it sounds like you only just found they are not refunding.

Unless there have been some recent developments about this matter, you will not get any refund about a dispute nearly 6 years ago.

I suspect the FSA will tell you the same. :-(

Hi to everyone.

I was looking through my old bank statements I noticed that the £1000 hadn't been refunded at the time of fraud had been taken place.

So when I reported it I was sent a fraud form,I filled in the form,a week later I phoned Customer services to check that they had received the form I was advised that everything I did was right I should receive the refund.

Few weeks later I was sure that checking my account that the refund had been made,but now looking through my old bank statements this year I noticed that it hasn't been made.

So I asked for a investgation,Barclays came back that someone got hold of my card details.

Yes I did record the ip address,the ip address the fraud was committed didn't match.

At the time in my house then we had foster kids living with me,but only way I think someone could get my card details his that found it on my notepad.

Username and password I always kept remember me,my partner just reminded me that I did phone Barclays to confirm it,they "said" fraud investgation refund done.

So I was fool for not double checking everything.

Few weeks later I was sure that checking my account that the refund had been made,but now looking through my old bank statements this year I noticed that it hasn't been made.

This is where your case is almost certainly bound to fail.

If this were me, I wouldn't sleep at night until I was certain the refund was back in my a/c. And I would certainly notice that the refund had NOT been made.

It was your duty to be reasonably vigilant about your bank account and to act quickly if you saw something was wrong.

You spotted the fraud within two months which, although not immediate, was within a reasonable time.

But you failed to ensure the matter was investigated properly leading to the refund.

IP address, foster kids, how bettings winnings were paid out - none of this is relevant now. It is simply too long ago.

The £25 compensation was paid in recognition that the bank failed to carry out a proper investigation when they should have done. But that doesn't make the bank responsible for the fraud and it's just too late to investigate the matter now.

Even if the matter is not quite Statute-Barred (6 years per the Limitation Act 1980), it is too long ago for any useful or meaningful investigation to take place now.

And I suspect this is what the FSA will tell you. :-(

After speaking the fsa they say that Barclays agree from the ip evidence that I wasn't the one who comitted the fraud,but I have broken the Under the conditions of use for the card,meaning I didn't keep it safe.

I did everything right.WHEN i NOTICED the fraud transaction I contacted the bank to change my card,reported it to the police got a crime ref number,cancelled my acount with Ladbrokes.

I filled in the fraud online form,but was told by Barclys that they had everything to investgate,when I thought I saw £1000 REFUND,I contacted Barclays someone did say fraud investgation finished with the refund.

This was long time ago,I have forgot quite a few things as I suffer from rare unknown autoimmune disease.

Again..I doubt whether the IP evidence is enough on its own to prove your case. I could quite easily fake an Ip address, bet/buy something on my card and then later complain its not mine...the fact that Barclaycard say that you broke the T&C's perhaps indicate this........it is quite rare for a credit card company not to pay up after fraud so no doubt they are suspicious of something.

It is hard what further advice you expect to get from here, you appear to have exhausted the usual Card company and the FSA avenues.

You could of course pursue legal avenues but as pointed out many times, above the 6 year gap would do you no favours (although it would appear you have a small time frame before the 6 year statute limit is reached).

The fact you suffer a condition that makes you forget will also not help, if I were a Judge I'd ask you, did you forget about putting on the bet ?

Andy

I didn't do bet online,Ladbrokes should beable to find out which location the bet had came from.

Barclays shouldn't have told me that the fraud investgation was over.

This has caused loads of problems now,I' not hapy.

When progressing your complaint with the FOS (I presume and not the FSA), you want to make sure you stick to one version of events. Sadly, any changes made to your version of events would cast doubt upon what happened in the mind of anyone investigating.

For example

I thought everything was sorted out,but this year I was advised that £1000 wasn't refunded back to me.

I was looking through my old bank statements I noticed that the £1000 hadn't been refunded at the time of fraud had been taken place.

You was either advised that the £1,000 was not refunded or you noticed it when you were for an unknown reason, checking your six year old bank statements.

I did everything right.WHEN i NOTICED the fraud transaction I contacted the bank to change my card,reported it to the police got a crime ref number,cancelled my acount with Ladbrokes.

I didn't do bet online,Ladbrokes should beable to find out which location the bet had came from.

If you didn't bet online, why did you have an account with Ladbrokes.

Was the bet made through your own account with ladbrokes. If it was you have to also consider how someone in addition to obtaining your card number, expiry date and security number also obtained your username and password for your account.

If it was made using your own ladbrokes account and with your own bank card, you may also be asked what benefit any such fraud would have been to a third party.

If the bet had won, it would have been first credited to your account and then your bank account.

This would support your theory in regards to a the possibility of a foster child being responsible as they may have done it for 'fun'

The IP address is a red hearing in terms of deciding who actually committed the fraud. It may be the case that in 2006, your partners ISP did not provide a static ip address for her account. The IP address could also be a internet cafe which were a lot more common in 2006 or even though someone form of public/open wifi. This still leaves the software that can be downloaded for free that can change or hide an ip address.

Me personally, if I had not had £1,000 refunded to me, I would have known straight away and I would have been kicking and screaming to get my money back. As part of any investigation you will be asked why you have left it for so long.

Whilst you may be outside any legal claim, you may be able to scrape through with the FOS, as with them it is based upon when you knew you had cause to complain. However, this is a long shot.

Edited by kerrywst

Me personally, if I had not had £1,000 refunded to me, I would have known straight away and I would have been kicking and screaming to get my money back. As part of any investigation you will be asked why you have left it for so long.

I think this is the view that most people would have.

Andy

Thanks for you suggestions.

I agree with you,I should have double checked everything,but Barclays did tell me that they were investgating the fraud.

When I phoned to say to Barcalys that my money £10000 has gone into the account (they advised me yes)

So I didn't bother,til I was looking through my old bank statements (I contacted Ladbrokes check if the case was over,I was advised that the bank his the one that will investgate it.

So I contracted Barclays to make a complaint (they refunded me £25 for poor customer service for not telling me the truth)

My partner "said" you was advised that the money had been refunded to you.

My partner can't belive it (she have had it up to here with Barclays poor customer service)

I think the FSA guy who's doing my case isn't happy the way Barclays are treating me.

I double check everything now,I advised anyone not to be so stupid.

If someone took a £1000 from my account, I would be chasing it every day not leaving it for 6 years. I notice on another thread you have running that you complain about Barclays again regarding the DPA. Are these two thread related in some way?