ATS Euromaster

Yukiko
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, I need some help with these cowboys.

I bought two new tyres from ATS around June at around £51 each. I was informed that these are ATS' own brand, made by Michelin (Riken Maystorm2) and were ideal for my vehicle.

I originally went in for dunlops, but I digress!

Within two-three weeks and 1000 miles later, there was a lot of wheel wobble and the tread started peeling from the NS front tyre. I went to ATS and asked them to check. They said that my steering rack required replacement and that my rear wheel bearings were dangerous.

I then took the vehicle back to Vauxhall, who kindly did a vehicle health check and nothing suspicious was found (My car has taper bearings on the rear apparently which do give some movement which is acceptable).

I then sent a few snotty e-mails and a template complaints letter, offering to pay for 10% of a new tyre (Which came to £5) as I really wasn't happy. They agreed and I had a new NSF tyre, all happy and dandy.

Today, I took my car into an independant tyre garage as the probem has got very bad again and they've informed me that both front tyres are mis-shaped and dangerous. I rang ATS Customer Relations and they've said that I must buy two new tyres and return these ones for inspection as I could have been running up and down curbs and so on. I pointed out that I don't have the funds to do it, to which I recieved the following response;

"The tyre industry has its own set of rules and regulations in relation to warranty/guarantee. The sale of goods act is no good for these situations as in nearly all cases, tyres go faulty because of user error. You'll either have to remove the wheels and use alternatives or purchase new tyres"

I'm sure this isn't right, my car is in perfect health and gets truly pampered at every oppurtunity by main dealers, only going to independants or ATS for tyres and exhausts. How can they say I've mistreated the car when I take such a stand on keeping it in order?

Can any body help?

Regards,

Yukiko

They are actually right and wrong with this.

They are right in respect of the warranty procedure however this does not exhonerate them from the sale of goods act. Unfortunately you have to go through the warranty procedure first.

As regards to what the Vauxhall garage has told you I can categoricaly state that it is not acceptable to have any movement in a wheel bearing assembly whether tapered or not and it is very, very unlikely you have tapered bearings on the front wheels.

You should note that wheel bearing play can also cause a tyre to go egg shaped.

Due to the nature of tyres, the supplier investigation reports are very succint and detailed so if you do send them off for inspection and the report comes back as negative i.e. no fault found with the construction of the tyre then you can be pretty sure it is accurate and another fault with the car which I have pointed out. If there is an issue with them then they will agree to replace and instruct accordingly. However they will ask for a percentage contribution which is usually based on the amount of tread left pro rata.

As regards to what the Vauxhall garage has told you I can categoricaly state that it is not acceptable to have any movement in a wheel bearing assembly whether tapered or not and it is very, very unlikely you have tapered bearings on the front wheels.

You should note that wheel bearing play can also cause a tyre to go egg shaped.

The rear bearings are taper bearings. These are the ones that they're complaining about, saying that the rear bearings and my [excessively worn] steering rack are causing the issue. I trust anything Vauxhall say over ATS right now as Vauxhall seem to be fairer at pricing things than ATS and will do anything to keep my car coming back as a long term returning customer, not just a sales figure for that specific, slow-trade day!

If there is an issue with them then they will agree to replace and instruct accordingly. However they will ask for a percentage contribution which is usually based on the amount of tread left pro rata.

This is what happened last time. There was no inspection though, I think the fact that the tread was literally peeling off of the NSF tyre was reason enough to actually listen to one of their customers who knows his car and how it feels.

I don't want the earth moved, but I feel that a hefty discount off of my Third set of tyres from ATS in 12 months should be offered, especially as they've fobbed me off with an badly worn steering rack, worn Track Rod Ends, rear taper bearings should never have play in them, trackings out etc... All things my local dealer have said don't actually exist on my car.

From what you have posted, I would not believe any Vauxhall garage either. I would reitterate that it is not acceptable for any play to be in any wheel bearing weather tapered or not.

If indeed your post relates to the fronts only then you should state this.Exactly what are you complaining about? Two front tyres it seems. You do not confirm either if you have had the work done to rectify the issues ATS have raised.

Given that Vauxhall have said that play is allowable I wouldn't even be going anywhere near the garage which sort of negates any answer they have to the issue.

It could be that ATS are right and Vauxhall are wrong. Would not be the first time.

You need to be more succint in your problem description as to where the tyres were fitted, front or back.

With regards the peeling issue, were they the same tyre etc etc.

Your post is turning into something a bit vauge at the moment.

I do apologise for the vagueness... I'm on my 6th nightshift in a row :)

The front tyres were replaced by ATS and replace again by ATS when the tread started peeling. These were [Michelin] Riken Maystorm 2 tyres. (ATS' own brand, produced by Michelin).

The general consensus amongst Cavalier owners on forums and so on is that the minor amount of play (And it is minor) is acceptable, requiring a nip'up of the bearings if it becomes more than minor.

I understand that there is a lot of negativity regarding main dealers, but the dealer I use do a hell of a lot of good work for me and I regularly point other Vauxhall owners in their direction for any work.

Vauxhall do a VHC (Vehicle Health Check) every time the car goes in for repairs. The VHC prior to my new tyres was all green (Minus an oil leak and a reverse bulb out) and the VHC they did for me free of charge upon my request was all green - No issues - I had sorted the oil leak and changed the bulb.

There are no issues with my cars steering or suspension, unless you wanted to be very regimental and nip up the little play there is in the rear bearings, but I really do not agree that the slightest play in the rear would cause tread to peel off and tyres to bulge out.

More like ATS hiding behind a big brand to sell their chod to the unsuspecting public as "Michelin" tyres.

That's just my view, but if you need any more info, please advise.

So we are talking about the front tyres only.

I will say again that it is not acceptable for any play to be in any wheel bearings be it front or rear and either taper or not.

The issue with the peeling tyres seems to have been resolved so what now is the current issue? Vibration? Quoting what has gone on before and been fixed muddies the water so to speak.

What is the current issue you have in a nutshell leaving out previous issues?

The tread on these tyres isn't peeling, but is wearing unevenly and there is vibration.

A company called Tread Fast (I think) in Saffron Walden, told me that the tyres are mishapen when I took it in to be looked at, thinking I'd thrown a weight or something. They said both front tyres have gone out of shape AFTER I told them that the tyres are under warrenty (I was up front, so they knew I wouldn't be shoe-horned into buying new ones from them).

They gave me the slip of paper explaining that they're mis-shapen.

So, my issue now, with the 3rd set is mishapen tyres.

The first replacement was after 1000 miles.

This issue is now 7000 miles down the line.

I'm going to stick my winter wheels and tyres on soon to avoid damaging my alloys and to enable me to return the two tyres to ATS.

You might actually be better off sending the complete wheels. Make sure you photgraph first and get a receipt from ATS. This is a standard procedure and if the tyre manufactuer has the wheel as well all the better. The investigation is always very thorough. I'd also ask for an 8D report as to normal. It will be routine but a bid odd from a retail customer and will give them something to think about.

Would there be charge for sending 4 x alloys back?

The other thing they crowed on about for about 30 seconds is that my car is an "L" spec model (Boggo standard, Ex-Police) and it's wearing Astra CDX alloys (15", same offset and PCD stud pattern).

I told them that 4 stud Vauxhall wheels will suit most others and that Cavalier was available with up to 16" on top spec models, so it was irrelevant.

Just want to make sure they don't have much defence.

:)

8D, I guess this is an industry standard report, not the usual rubbish us normal people get fobbed off with?

There should not be a charge for returning any tyres under investigation. ATS should take care of this. However you need to ask ATS to ask the supplier if they would like the wheels as well. If not then get ATS to remove and send back thetyres under complaint. Ask ATS to fill in the complaint form ideally with you. They might object but it does indeed help the supplier/manufactuer believe it or not. If the ATS branch has done everything they can then there should not be a problem.

Heliosuk. Given your post 6 can you please advise me how to tighten up wheel bearings. I know that some makes and in particular Nissan, the rear wheel bearings have to be tightened right up as there is an internal spacer which is SUPPOSED to automatically set the bearing correctly.

Ok, I see what you are saying so perhaps then a re phrase to "no discernable movement in an X,Y or Z axis and a resistance to movement no less than X newtons/metre and no more than X newtons/metre at a piece temperature of 22 degrees centigrade and where the bearing can confirmed to be lubricated with a lubricant that comples with SAE XXX and that the applied force in any axis does not exceed XXX Kn" would be more appropriate.

Hope that clarifies the statement :-)