BT Landline Phone Number Change and BE Broadband

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2957 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hey Caggers,

Currently have BT Landline and BE (02) Broadband.

Recently changed my BT phone number. I was told categorically by BT that my broadband would be unaffected by this. Since the change my broadband has not worked.

BE have stated:

"Please let me inform you that I have BT/ Openreach's confirmation that your new number (01*********) has not services on it. It will be visible with the correct marker for a clear line soon. As discussed, a re-provisioning should be started. Let me remind you that we would need to arrange a BT engineer to go in the exchange and physically reconnect the cables. This order could take up to 7 working days and BT will charge us 25 pounds. This is the reason you will see this charge in your next invoice."

BT's CEO has just stated this in reply to my email:

'There is no reason why a change in phone number would affect your broadband."

Which is correct? What on earth can I do?

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Numbers can be changed by a process called omc but in this case it seems as if a new number has been provided on new equipment in the exchange and has been reconfigured by an engineer at the request from the communications provider (cp) in this case BT.

It seems that this orders been built as cease and reprovide PSTN.

Both answers are correct depending on how order was built.

CEO office should sort it without charge. It would take 20 mins to add broadband once the jobs built

I concur. BT can either chance the number on their computer system, or provision a different phone line... sounds like BT have done the wrong thing here to me.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi Coniff,

Thanks for looking in. I'm unsure what to say in my reply to BT's CEO to get this sorted?

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

I have had be* for years and also bt line. In the last year I've changed telephone number twice.

The first time be* told me there would be a period without internet and to reconect would be 25 pounds. When it came to it there was no loss of service and no fee.

The second time I changed number I lost access to the internet for 5 days and a bt guy had to reconnect at the station. But still no fee.

I have no idea why both occassions were different.