• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Comet Aftercare nightmare, tv gone for over a month now! **WON FULL CASH REFUND**

herpaderp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Our TV had two faults

It turned itself on randomly from standby and it also had grey panels across the screen when the screen had a white image on it.

Everything else was MINT condition, not a scratch on it.

They turned up to take it away, they didn't wrap it in any kind of protective covering ie: bubble wrap etc.

It was jammed into a tv container including the metal stand attached to it, it clearly wasn't meant to all fit in the box.

I called them to see what was happening, they tell me they've fixed the turning on from standby randomly issue, I ask them if they've fixed the grey panels when a white image is shown and they have no clue.

I get a call from them saying they've sent my tv to the wrong depot and the return delivery is delayed by about a week.

We randomly got sent a Samsung remote through the post with my partners name on it and our job number, the buttons on the remote had been chewed so god knows who's this controller was, just goes to show how completely incompetent they are!

The tv is returned, the delivery guy puts the tv down in my hallway which is very dark and hurry's me to sign the papers saying "nothing wrong with it is there, sign here please" rushing me to do it whilst I'm trying to look.

I take the tv into my living room and the outside high gloss plastic edge is cracked and scratched!

Obviously done when they took the tv away, I ran out to the delivery guy, got him to come back in and look at hit, he proceeds to lick his finger and try and rub the scratches off making more scratches saying "oh it's just tape"

I said it's obviously not tape! It's cracked and scratched!

I phone them up furious that they've taken it away to fix it and it's come back damaged.

To top it all off they didn't even fix the grey panels issue previously mentioned.

They arrange to come pick it up in a couple of days time.

I phoned them up today as it's been over a month now they've had the tv (bar 2 or 3 days when it got dropped back and then sent off again)

I asked the lady on the phone if they had fixed the damage, all she said was "They've replaced the screen and fixed some scratches on the back of the tv"

I didn't even report any scratches on the back of the tv, the scratches were on the front, on the plastic edge.

I get fobbed off again with "I'll speak to the person who dealt with the tv and I'll phone up the place where the tv is now to see if they've fixed the damage then I'll call you first thing tomorrow"

I know damn well I won't get a call and I'll have to call them for the hundredth time.

I get a call back saying they're going to deliver the tv back on saturday, my predicament is if the tv returns wit the damage that the delivery people caused to it, what do I do?

We've been without a tv for over a month now, I'm looking for advice on what I should do, any light you can shed will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by herpaderp

Who is repairing it? Where was it bought? How old is it?

Apologies, its in the COMET forum! :frusty: Welcome to the most incompetent uncaring inept company you can have the displeasure of buying from!

Where did you buy it and how old is it?

I think? there is a comet rep on here who will be able to help out.

Enter into their complaints procedure so you are able to escalate this sooner rather than later to trading standards, I stopped using this shower over a decade ago simply because of their ridiculous attitude to customers.

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Ok the tv was originally purchased november 2010, we also took out an additional 5 year warranty at the same time.

Tv was bought from Comet castle vale, Birmingham.

The warranty is with Extra Care, they organised all the repairs.

Sorry to say the warranty was a waste of money, your statutory rights give you six years from date of purchase if anything goes wrong with your product, a lot of companies con people into buying useless expensive warranties.

IMO I would go back to the store and make a formal complaint to the store manager, ask him who the name of his area manager is as you intend to take this matter much further if he is unable/unwilling to help.

Have a read of SOGA, this will be your weapon of choice to get this repaired/replaced.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

YES!

You purchased it from that shop, under SOGA, they will have the responsibility to ensure that the TV was fit for purpose.

The cosmetic damage should be argued with the clown who took it away for repair, and I would be hammering them for a claim that they have damaged the set.

Either way a 2 year old goggle box should NOT be needing repair so early/

Hi

If the goods arrive make sure and have a good inspection on the TV before even thinking of signing and remember if you are unhappy with any damage caused simply refuse the delivery due to damaged goods.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

time to email the ceo me thinks

the info is in several threads here already

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry to say the warranty was a waste of money, your statutory rights give you six years from date of purchase if anything goes wrong with your product, a lot of companies con people into buying useless expensive warranties.

IMO I would go back to the store and make a formal complaint to the store manager, ask him who the name of his area manager is as you intend to take this matter much further if he is unable/unwilling to help.

Have a read of SOGA, this will be your weapon of choice to get this repaired/replaced .

Hi Bazooka ,

Yes indeed if only it was that simple it certainly is not as straight forward as you make it sound regarding the 6 Year Plan there is a big diffrence between a product with an inherent manufacturing fault and a product breaking down by natural causes and wear and tear.

The onus is on the customer to prove an inherent or manufacturing fault with a faulty product after 6 months is it not ? this is the difficult part .

COMET these days are refusing to replace a product that fails within 14 Days and less as some Consumers are reporting here in various threads never mind a product that fails after 18 months or so .

Yes SOGA is meant to be the weapon of choice in the Consumers favour but until it is revamped completely COMET and other Retailers will continue to to string everyone along regarding faulty goods .

There are nearly 400 Threads regarding COMET here on CAG have a look to see how many have been resolved under SOGA .

This obviously does not even count the hundreds of others who have simlar issues with other Retailers who have posted on CAG .

On a final note regarding contacting the Retail Store Manager or area Manager waste of time go straight to the top as dx mentioned

[email protected]

This is the Directors Office and as we have seen many times the the standard response email is not very encouraging .

Court action is available as we know if you are prepared to wait some 9 months or so with a faulty product still in your kitchen or living room .

The Threads posted here on CAG would back this up as such the majority are still unresolved and in many cases the customer has given up and purchased elsewhere never again to return to a COMET store .

Having a COMET rep on CAG now can only be a good thing I hope Matt can help solve many issues without the normal Brick Wall tactics that are normally used , we will wait and see .

Edited by GorgieBoy
  • Haha 1

Regards

GorgieBoy

good post

though with regard to when the fault occurs

whatever the product

18mts is no-where near a resonable satisfactory operational period

SOGA is def the weapon

it's just comets poor customer relations that need a kicking.

lets hope matt is here to assist

we'll give him every help we can.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok a little update for you

I called the hub where the tv is being fixed this morning as I was meant to get a callback but as per usual I have to chase them up,

I called to find out if all the damage has been sorted and ready for the saturday delivery they apparently booked in and I get told they'll get back to me.

I then phoned up Comet today with the intention of speaking to the Manager at the store the tv was purchased, I got passed onto someone else who called the hub where the tv is being repaired, I told them I'm inches away from calling trading standards as the customer service and the way I've been dealt with has been disgraceful, she agreed and said she didn't blame me! Even Comet employees are agreeing their service is a joke now!

The lady tells me that my details have been emailed to the workshop to check if the tv has been fixed as she has just spoken to the people at the hub who are admin and they can't see or check if the damage has been repaired and they will get back to me.

Here's the good part, get this, I then get a call back from the hub who tells me that they've just checked the tv personally and seen that there's no damage and the tv is in perfect working order, no faults whatsoever!

So is she lying or is the phone operative lying? I've been lied to so many times during this process that I don't know who to believe any more.

I then said is the tv ok to be delivered as already arranged for saturday afternoon? I'm then told there hasn't been any saturday afternoon delivery booked in.

So the person I spoke to yesterday lied about booking in a delivery.

I now have to wait till next tuesday when I shall see if the tv has been repaired, I hope it has but I really can't hold my breath seeing as they've messed me about this much already.

Hi herp ,

All this mish mash is about the norm now COMET Service or whats left of it are working on an absolute shoestring these days with no one knowing whats going on this is of no consolation to your issues but you are certainly not alone in suffering this terrible service .

A lot of work is now outsourced to Third Parties , I think they have one Service Hub that serves the whole of the UK which is understaffed and underskilled that is where your set has probably ended up unfortunately it has now to make a return journey from the Hub back to your livingroom in a similar metal box .

I hope your next update is good news we await with interest .

Good Luck ,

Regards

GorgieBoy

Thanks everyone for your responses, you've been really helpful,

Just to let you guys know, I've just been on the phone to trading standards.

They've advised me to wait until tuesday when the tv arrives, if the repairs are satisfactory and it works perfectly then that's the ideal situation and to leave it at that.

If however I'm not happy with the repairs, I should call them back and get the address for head office and they will help me with the letter.

They advised that I can either get a refund, a like for like replacement or I can have them repair it again.

I'm not going to let them try to repair it any longer, I'll most likely be getting a replacement or refund, also I can claim a refund for the extended warranty as it's been a waste of money.

IMHO everyone that has ever been sold any useless extended warranty, when 9/10 SOGAcovers it should be refunded

this is getting to be the new big thing after the PPI scandal

dx

and they

This is all based on the tv coming back with faults and damage though.

I doubt Comet will let you down there! They're not renowned for repairing anything without causing further damage..:smash:

Actually dreading the tv coming back tomorrow morning now, I just know that it's going to be another ordeal I'll have to sort out.

I'll post up on here when it's returned to me and let you know what's going on, hopefully it's fixed and I'm happy but I really doubt it.

Ok so the tv has returned,

Still damaged, I phoned aftercare up and they told me nothing has been done except an internal change, so I'm guessing some sort of circuit board etc

Fuming is not the word, I've just phoned trading standards to get the head office address, I've got to write to them now.

There's a surprise!

When you get this sorted NEVER EVER use this incompetent outfit again, they are truly shocking, I won't be surprised if they go to the wall as consumers shop elsewhere.

There's a surprise!

When you get this sorted NEVER EVER use this incompetent outfit again, they are truly shocking, I won't be surprised if they go to the wall as consumers shop elsewhere.

Don't worry I won't!

I had an idea, SOGA covers me for the purchase of the tv and the warranty,

so if I were to go back to the shop I brought it from with all the evidence and proof of purchases, do you think I could claim a refund for both from them rather than go through sending letters to head office etc?

I reckon it must be worth a try, or do you think they will just say no?

Hi Herp ,

Waste of time regarding the Retail Store , Has your Tv been repaired but not the damaged Cabinet ?

If yes contact the Directors Office Again with regards to the damage at the very least they should offer some sort of payment for the damage THEY caused .

You must keep going until you are completely satisfied .

Regards

GorgieBoy

I phoned the workshop after I received it the other day and I was told that they did NOTHING to repair any damage, they said they replaced some internal part which has made no difference whatsoever to the original fault I sent it off for.

They did however put some sort of sticky tape all over the back of the tv and then left all the glue residue stuff on it.

I've just emailed the chairmans office, let's hope they do something about it.

Edited by herpaderp

It might be wise asking Comet to return your TV with the cosmetic damage as they have just announced the company will be going into administration next week. If its Comet’s own repair service doing the work, and if the company does fold there is the possibility you could lose it all together.