EQUIFAX Credit Reference Agency

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have today been in touch with Equifax regarding the exact meanings of their search descriptions.

I specifically was interested in the one listed as DEBT COLLECTION, I asked them what this is which I was duly informed.

However I enquired further as to the parameters that mean a search of this type can be carried out, to which after a heated discussion she hung up on me.

Anyone??? Do you know what the parameters are that mean a company can perform such a search??? To me, these searches can be misleading and potentially have a disproportionate effect on your credit rating.

Thanks in advance

I wouldnt have thought 'debt collection' searches would adversely affect a credit score. The credit reference agencies will argue that the T&Cs you orignally signed up to means that DCAs can search your accounts periodically.

The supposed creditor is UNITED UTILITIES, the supposed debt is actually an ACTIVE water account, this years payments. Can they place Table One searches if you are £40 behind with your payments???

The authority to search is given in the T&Cs of the original contract.

The search shown on your CRA file is to alert you that you may have a problem,the searches will have been made when the DCA/Creditor has satified themselves that is is appropriate having satisfeid one or more of the ICOs 8 principles.

I suggest you doa little research then come back if you need hepl.

Google ICO 8 Principles.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

They can check my credit worthiness WITHOUT putting a search in Table One!!! My Credit File has numerous accounts, all with green 0's and low balances, this search is misleading in my opinion as it implies I have a debt, which itself is another matter. I have been FORCED into any terms and conditions, I have never had a copy of anything in the post! It is very difficult to live in a house and not use water!

So being £1 in arrears for 1 day means they can carry out havoc on your credit file?

It would appear as they have made a T1 search that they have good cause to believe they have the right person, your complaint should be directly addressed to the compliance manager of the company making the search, the CRA is not at fault.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

So they would definitely fall foul of Principle 4 without fail as a search for a current liability does not list the amount etc so clearly cannot be upto date if you now owe nothing?

No if they can justify the search under any of the principles they can search, you should check again

with the CRA concerned as to what impact such a search has.

The right person??? I haven't moved house, I have a current liability for water charges in the year 12/13!

Alternatively if you do not like the advice offerd, contact the water company directly and sort this out amicably between you!

I have done, they accepted they were wrong and said they would remove it within 5 days. They haven't but now saying he didn't say that and won't remove it!

I am asking if someone knows the parameters or has a similar experience.

I will look into the 8 principles in more detail later, thank you for your input on that.

They accepted they were wrong and said they would remove it within 5 days. They haven't but now saying he didn't say that and won't remove it!

Make formal complaint to their ceo.