Ashbourne Gym Membership Cancellation

Azzza72
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm new here, so please forgive me if I'm doing something wrong.

I have a gym membership contract that is collected by Asbourne every month. The contract was for 36 months from May 2010 and I wish to cancel it.

I have seen something about the OFT, but I don't know how I would cancel it. I have been paying now since May 2010, so in excess of the 12 months.

Could someone please explain how I cancel this, can I just cancel the Direct Debit, or would that result in nasty letters and debt collectors. Unfortunately I cannot find the actual contract, but I do have the initial welcoming letters from both the gym and Ashbourne.

Many thanks

Arran

Hello and Welcome Arran.

I've moved this thread to the appropriate Forum, you should get some help shortly.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi Azza and welcome to CAG

Can you check your m/ship agreement and see if it has a number to identify it.

Read this thread and follow the link through to the OFT page - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?320766-Ashbourne-Management-Services-Ltd-Contracts-longer-than-12-months&p=3563434&viewfull=1#post3563434

Cancelling a 36 month agreement with AMSL should be simple enough although they have tried to convince gym members that they remain tied in to their agreement.

Let us know about the agreement number and we'll take it from there.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Azzza,

Sorry if I was unclear.

I want to know if the agreement has a number on it (perhaps between 1 and 20) which identifies the contract which AMSL used at the time. There have been many used over the last few years.

It may be stated on the form as, for instance, "Issue 16".

See here for a guide to identify the various contracts if you can't find the relevant indentifying number on the agreement - http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/consumer-enforcement/consumer-enforcement-completed/ashbourne/ Scroll down and there are many examples of contacts 1 to 13 in PDF format.

I've removed the number you posted above as that identifies you personally which we try to avoid. Our forums can be read by anyone including gyms, DCA's banks, etc !

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Ok, in that case, we'll go for the simple approach with a letter to AMSL by Recorded Del'y......................

Dear sir or madam,

My membership at xxxxxx Gym, xxxxx Town

I hereby cancel my gym membership with immediate effect.

I have already cancelled the DD mandate so no further payments will be made.

Yours faithfully,

You could go into a whole load of waffle about the High Court ruling last year, contract over 12 months, Mr Justice Kitchin's remarks about cancelling, etc. However, the chances are that your contract for 36 months is not enforceable in any circumstances.

Please try and find the agreement, or anything else you have from when you joined the gym.

Let us know how they respond if, indeed, they do.

:-)

• 1 month later...

Hi

Sorry it's been awhile since I have posted on this thread.

The payment to Ashbourne was due to go out on 24th November and it's now 10th December and I haven't heard from them as of yet.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that everything's good and that the matter is finally over.

Will keep you posted if I hear anything else.

Hi Azzza,

Thanks for the update and let us know if you hear any more from them.

:wink: