Help with Paragon

johnrs101

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2847 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am having to repost this as I cannot seem to find my last post on this

To cut a long story short I have had a debt with Paragon (Universal Credit) which started approximately 18 year ago. It was for £5000 over 84 months. The debt is now over £17,000 which is something I could never pay back.

I am still paying this off today as I lost my job back then & also divorced (this was a joint debt).

I have recently decided to get this debt sorted once and for all due to them calling me saying my payment are late even thought its been on the same date for over 6 years and they are now charging me for calls and letters.

I am paying £30pm + what every my ex is paying (if she is indeed still paying)

I have been told on here to stop paying as this would not make it to court, but I am a little apprehensive in doing so before I am 100% sure on where I stand.

I have sent a SAR which was posted 8 working days ago and they have had this letter 7 working day now.

Attached is my credit agreement which I managed to get off them a few years back. This was a singled sided photo copy.

Thanks

Edited by johnrs101

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paragon seem to be the most bizarre company to try and talk with by phone or in writing. I have resorted to emailing several different addresses AND sending recorded deliveries to several different addresses (but they are always signed for by the same individual) so I have a clear paper trail with regards MY willingness to resolve things. I am not in the territory of withholding payment and waiting to see what happens.

:lol:

Successfully claimed back mis-sold PPI (Barclays Bank) 2009-10 (£8500)

Ran a paid-for DMP. Deeply respect those who self-manage a DMP; it is possible to do with the help of fellow CAGGERS

Offered F&F to all my creditors. All closed out including a particularly intransigent and stubborn one - who eventually saw sense after 10 months of nonsense!

Does not condone debt avoidance but violently disagrees with the antics of debt collectors and their behavior towards the ones trying to pay. I am a great believer in what goes around, comes around. Keep up the good fight!

Your being mugged off and used as a cash cow here. STOP paying.

This won't be on your credit file, but check to make 100% certain.

The document they sent you does not fulfill the CCA requirements, as it clearly states that the T&C's are overleaf, and they have failed to send you a copy of them.

If they were serious about getting their money back, then they would have taken legal action within the first 24 months of you defaulting, not 18 years later!

STOP paying! You are being conned, as for them adding charges for calls and letters, this is unlawful, and is a very clear indication that you are being cash cowed. STOP paying.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for the replies

I thought that they had to reply something like 14 working days to reply..

I have just been sorting some old documents out and came across a break down of my payments from 1994 till April 2011. I have now gone back and working out that I have paid £7738 for a £5000

So if I stop paying today they are going to come chasing me. Where do I stand and what do I do. Will I end up in court ? Will this shaft my credit rating again ?

Thanks

I have just been sorting some old documents out and came across a break down of my payments from 1994 till April 2011. I have now gone back and working out that I have paid £7738 for a £5000
There's absolutely no chance that they will pursue court action, you can display that you've paid 150% of the Original Amount and any further amounts which they claim you owe will be purely interest and unfair charges. Trust me, if they attempted to take it to court this would be a total defence, and would more than likely result in costs / damages being awarded to you. Check your credit file, but i'm certain this debt wont be on there...

If it aint on your credit file... stop all payments, file all documents and ignore them.

The first few months, they will send you threatening letters, but trust me these will be empty threats - no matter what they tell you, stand firm and remember that they will say anything / everything to keep you paying. Legally they can do nothing more than send you letters, and they know it.

Relax, Debt collection Agencies are NOT bailiffs, nor will they ever be. And they most certainly could never remove anyone's property or goods, that WILL be theft.

If they do send someone round, you have every right to laugh at them and tell them to clear off before you have them removed by the Police, and if they fail to make good their escape, ring the Police and report that their is a stranger on your property demanding money, you have told them to leave and they have failed to do so and you believe they will commit a breach of the peace, once they arrive, or if they hear them arriving I am confident this eejit will run for the hills.

No DCA or doorstep conman has any legal training or powers over anyone, they are a joke.

Stop the payments, and ignore everything they send you through the post, just file them all away, keep a diary of events, and if they begin to harass you over the phone you need to make the standard complaints to the OFT&TS and also a complaint to the Police fore the criminal offence of harassment.

There is a letter template you can send them if they choose that method of harassment.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Relax, Debt collection Agencies are NOT bailiffs, nor will they ever be. And they most certainly could never remove anyone's property or goods, that WILL be theft.

If they do send someone round, you have every right to laugh at them and tell them to clear off before you have them removed by the Police, and if they fail to make good their escape, ring the Police and report that their is a stranger on your property demanding money, you have told them to leave and they have failed to do so and you believe they will commit a breach of the peace, once they arrive, or if they hear them arriving I am confident this eejit will run for the hills.

No DCA or doorstep conman has any legal training or powers over anyone, they are a joke.

Stop the payments, and ignore everything they send you through the post, just file them all away, keep a diary of events, and if they begin to harass you over the phone you need to make the standard complaints to the OFT&TS and also a complaint to the Police fore the criminal offence of harassment.

There is a letter template you can send them if they choose that method of harassment.

Thanks Bazooka Boo for your reply, Payments have been stopped now so I will wait for the flood of letters and calls :) Just wanted to be sure of what they can & cannot do.

Thanks again

Next doors cat has more rights than these tin pot parasites, they can ONLY print off random missives on their speak & Spell or using their crayons, that is it!

Next doors cat has more rights than these tin pot parasites, they can ONLY print off random missives on their speak & Spell or using their crayons, that is it!

I guess I am just lacking a little confidence when it come to things like this

They like to exploit peoples lack of knowledge when it comes to debt, most of these telephone jockey's have only just left the golden arches flipping burgers, now they have been given a desk with a phone and a script to read, this has the undesirable effect of them believing, albeit incorrectly, that they now have some sort of power over others, this could not be further from the truth.

Being in debt is not a criminal offence, and these little boys and girls like to mete out the same level of abuse they received in the playground as it threatened and intimidated them then, they now think everyone else is just as weak minded as they are.

They like to exploit peoples lack of knowledge when it comes to debt, most of these telephone jockey's have only just left the golden arches flipping burgers, now they have been given a desk with a phone and a script to read, this has the undesirable effect of them believing, albeit incorrectly, that they now have some sort of power over others, this could not be further from the truth.

Being in debt is not a criminal offence, and these little boys and girls like to mete out the same level of abuse they received in the playground as it threatened and intimidated them then, they now think everyone else is just as weak minded as they are.

I did bottle it just over a year ago when I tried to make a stance, Seeing all those red letters and phone calls did worry me. Knowing how much I have paid and that its being going on 18 years is just silly now and needs to stop as it will be going on forever

Thanks again

Yes definitely, they have had more than enough of your money now's the time to fob em off and ignore them, file everything under ignore from now on, come back here if you need some more reassurance in the future. :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

SAR timeframe is 40 calendar days from the date it was served (or signed for by them).

What I would personally do is wait a few days once this date has passed, then you need to be discussing this with the ICO. You have stopped payments I presume?

Yes if they have failed to comply within 40 days, then the next step would be a LBA advising them they have a further 7 days in which to supply the details or you will escalate the matter to the ICO for them to investigate.

40 calendar days yes.

ICO would investigate their failure to comply with your legal request, and likely fine them.

If they don't respond by that date, then the normal action would be to send them a LBA giving them a further 7 days to comply with your lawful request before you escalate it to the ICO to investigate.

• 2 weeks later...