Being evicted for having pets

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have rented my property for the last 18 months.

Although there is a no pet rule I didn't think it would be a problem because a lot of residents in the flats have them (including 2 directors of the management company.)

Said company have just posted a notice on the board outside saying any person renting have to get rid of any pets by 31st December 2012 of face eviction.

Anyone who owns their flat can keep their pets.

My landlord is fine with the one cat that I own.

As I have mentioned 2 members of the board have dogs. My neighbour (who also rents) has just been served a notice to quit because she has a dog. She is in her 70s and registered disabled. Can they do this?

I don't understand how they can distinguish between renters and owners in this respect? Can anyone help please?

Cakey

It depends on what it says about pets in there tenancy agreement

How long has the 70 year old lady lived there,does it say No pets in the tenancy agreement ?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

It does say no pets but I just figured as most folk here have them it was just a standard clause. The elderly lady has been here about 2 years I think.

P.s thank you for replying

It does say no pets but I just figured as most folk here have them it was just a standard clause. The elderly lady has been here about 2 years I think.

P.s thank you for replying

Problem is if the tenants are on standard AST,subject to all the correct dates,deposit protection and so on,the LL can issue a s21 notice no faults eviction in the end....

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/private_tenancies/assured_shorthold_tenancies

I dont know much about AST anyway,fellow CAG will be able to advise you better !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Board Director Owner prob freeholders, not subject to Head Lease, unlike Leaseholder owners and Ts. You need a Solic to check Head Lease for No Pets covenant.

Im more of a leasehold expert but it appears to me you may be able to argue some sort of estoppel if legal action were taken. the actaul lease may have a no pets clause which would apply to your landlord (the leaseholder owner of the flat) has to comply with and in turn you have to comply with the terms of his ast terms. you mention management company, is that the one employed by the main freeholder ?

I love the UK! A terrorist can shout 'Human Rights' to avoid getting evicted (from the country), but a little old lady can't have a pet. I would have thought it was every pensioners human right to keep a pet - I am disgusted at the behaviour of this landlord. When you're 70 years old, sometimes the only company you ever get is that of your cat/dog. It makes me want to cry when I read things like this.

Sorry, I know this is of no help to your enquiry, but felt I had to say it.

• Haha 1