Will canceling in writing be enough?

Ch3rrie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are members of DW fitness. We have been members for over 6 months now on student memberships.

We have not been there to work out since July! We have been to swim a few times though.

My partner got a job that gives him crazy hours so we hardly get to go. We have 2 kids so can't go whenever he isn't working. The gym is also an hour away so we don't get to go much anymore.

Because it is quite far, we can't easily go and cancel in person.

If I was to write a letter to them stating my membership number, and all the details I can think to give them would this be enough?

Would I be fine to cancel my direct debit after I send the letter? I know I have to give a months notice so I won't cancel the direct debit until the November payment has been taken out.

I would prefer to cancel by email as I will have more proof it's been sent if they try and deny it but I can't find anywhere to do this.

Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are members of DW fitness. We have been members for over 6 months now on student memberships.

We have not been there to work out since July! We have been to swim a few times though.

My partner got a job that gives him crazy hours so we hardly get to go. We have 2 kids so can't go whenever he isn't working. The gym is also an hour away so we don't get to go much anymore.

Because it is quite far, we can't easily go and cancel in person.

If I was to write a letter to them stating my membership number, and all the details I can think to give them would this be enough?

Would I be fine to cancel my direct debit after I send the letter? I know I have to give a months notice so I won't cancel the direct debit until the November payment has been taken out.

I would prefer to cancel by email as I will have more proof it's been sent if they try and deny it but I can't find anywhere to do this.

Hi ch3rrie, do you have a rolling 1 month contract or is it a 12 month contract.? Im guessing a 1 month rolling contract.

In any event you can cancel in writing by email if you like. Providing you give the notice required you have done everything required.

Great, thank you :-)

I a sure it's a 6 month contract. I'll send a letter as I have the membership cards still but I'll also email them to let them know I've sent my cancellation in writing.

Hi Ch3rrie,

You can give notice by email, letter (use Recorded Del'y as they tend to "lose" cancellation letters), by phone or in person. This may not be what the gym says but a High Court judge ruled on this last year. Best options are definitely email or RD letter to the gym or the gym's HO.

As Nagasis says, you need to know if you're tied in to a minimum contract which may make it difficult to cancel before the expiry of that initial period.

If you're past the minimum period, you can cancel giving a month's clear notice, let the DD be taken one final time and then cancel the DD mandate.

Eg, if you gave notice to cancel now, the final m/ship period would be the month of November and you'd cancel the DD after the Nov'r DD was taken.

It can vary from gym to gym if the m/ship period starts part way through the month.

Let us know about this and we'll advise further.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Ch3rrie,

Please check the initial contract period if you can, to avoid trouble with the gym.

If it was a 6 month agreement, you could have given notice in September, then October would have been the final month.

In any event, giving notice now and cancelling after the Nov'r payment is taken, is the right thing to do.

Let us know if they cause any troubles.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)