Faulty diesel pump at petrol station

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband was recently using a diesel pump at a petrol station on his way to work as a taxi driver when it splashed back and covered him almost from head to toe in diesel. He reported this to the cashier who said he would close the pump and advised my husband to write to head office. My husband set out his claim in a letter, including ruined clothing and loss of earnings. The reply from the claims handling agent states after their enquiries they have found no evidence that any loss suffered by my husband has arisen due to any negligence or failing by the petrol station. Any suggestions what to do next? This was definitely a faulty pump but how can he prove this?

There aren't many cars on the road now that can take a petrol nozzle at full squeeze and this is what sounds like happened plus there might have been more fuel in the tank than he realised and was a bit slow letting go the trigger. Those are just some of the things that can cause a blow back plus, of course, that the back pressure cut off wasn't working correctly.

I would have another go at that same pump and see if it happens again which would point to it being the nozzle faulty.

Other things to bare in mind is that the commercial section of a forecourt (lorries etc) have different delivery rates. If he used one of them then the blow back sensor is set very much higher. I've often seen cars filling up at the lorry section of motorway services especially when busy.

Thanks for your replies. Is there any point in pursuing this claim? If so, what sort of company would deal with such a claim? We feel that cctv wouldnt prove that the pump was faulty. My husband also said that a lot of the pumps were closed at the time.

We feel that cctv wouldnt prove that the pump was faulty.

It would show if he was soiled in diesel as he wouldn't of just stood there letting it happen. It would also show that he went inside to complain. There by supporting your statement of claim.

Can I ask how loss of earnings occurred? and roughly what is the amount of the claim (no need be precise).

Depending on if you wish to further the claim you would not need any company to deal with it on your behalf.

Can I ask how loss of earnings occurred? and roughly what is the amount of the claim (no need be precise).

After being covered in diesel my husband, a london licensed taxi driver, had to come home, shower, change his clothes and try to clean his taxi seat. The approximate amount of claim is £300.

After being covered in diesel my husband, a london licensed taxi driver, had to come home, shower, change his clothes and try to clean his taxi seat. The approximate amount of claim is £300.

Your husband needs to mitigate his losses. Did the fuel not wash out I take it?