Living in France last 10 years now threatened with bailiffs by French debt collectors over UK accounts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:?:I have had arrangement for last 7 years to pay nominal amount to HSBC on overdraft and credit card,from when I lived in UK, but stopped last January as not enough income and they were informed, as at my age will never make a dent in it. CCCA said they did not think they could pursue.

I only have basic UK State Pension, and a small top from French system as I am below living standard.

I have received a letter from French debt collectors saying they will instruct bailiffs if I do not settle credit card within 5 days. As I do not have any savings or capital obviously frantic.

HSBC originly had me harrassed by American debt collectors, but when made no response, they said they would pass to French Company. Can they do this, as reading info on this site, seems they can.

Was from ETIC europe - by letter quote" If within a limit of FIVE DAYS after receipt of this letter we have not received any payment.. an assignaation will delivered to our usual bailiff to order you to present yourself to the relevant court."

Thanks for your reply

I've asked one of our other mods to have a look in at your thread, but as I understand it they would still need to bring court action using UK law.

Now, regarding this debt. Was there any PPI with the credit card and have they added any unfair charges whilst you were repaying it?

Think you will need to check for any UK CCJ first. http://www.trustonline.org.uk/

Unless they have gone to a French court with a UK CCJ and asked to enforce in France, I cannot see how a bailiff can enforce. Perhaps they ask bailiffs to visit to make enquiries and only if there is no payment, do they go through the proper process.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Re Credit card, it is so long ago I thought originally there was a PPI, as to applying chargeswhilst repaying I don't think so, need to check. But the US co. converted GBP to dollars and now it is in euros, plus charging interest (not saying the rate of interest they are charging, or conversion rate, which of course is variable.) I think need to contact HSBC to get copies of orignal agreements, as suggested on the site.

Do I contact EHIC? to put this on hold.

Thanks again.

Re Credit card, it is so long ago I thought originally there was a PPI, as to applying chargeswhilst repaying I don't think so, need to check. But the US co. converted GBP to dollars and now it is in euros, plus charging interest (not saying the rate of interest they are charging, or conversion rate, which of course is variable.) I think need to contact HSBC to get copies of orignal agreements, as suggested on the site.

Do I contact EHIC? to put this on hold.

Thanks again.

I think it would be wise to send the bank a SAR to see exactly what has occurred with this a/c over the years & I would also send the credit card company a CCA request to get a copy of the agreement. This will show whether there was PPI.

Tell ETIC you dispute the a/c and you are awaiting documentation from your bank.

I thought that EHIC, was European Health Insurance Card ? Is this relevant ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread