• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ex flatmate wants us to essentially pay his bill?!

Sherlock51
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4042 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife and I moved out of our previous house early last month.

My wife then cancelled the tv license, after trying to transfer the account into the new flatmate's name. The new flatmate had been away travelling, and hadn't had time to ring them alongside my wife to transfer the account over into the new name.

The flatmate suggested that my wife just ring them and cancel the account, and that she would get a new account later.

My wife did that, and then told the new flatmate, who incidentally never responded to say she'd understood.

Anyway a month later and the flatmates are complaining that they are on a higher tariff because they had to start a new account, and are demanded that we pay the difference (which is about £70 altogether).

Do they have the right to do this? It seems to me like we are essentially just helping them pay their bills, and that the new flatmate should've thought about this before suggesting that we just cancel instead of being together with my wife to transfer the name over the phone (as they had planned to do).

If you could give me any suggestions here I'd be really grateful. Can they sue us?

Thanks a bunch.

Hi

Now the TV Licence did everyone contributed to the licence or was it solely your wife that contributed?

A TV Licence would be there responsibility as they are residing there not you. Does it mention anything about a tv licence in your tenancy agreement

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

No such thing as a higher tariff. They either pay the year in full, month by month by direct debit or payment card. its the same price no matter who you are or when you start your license from.

Sound to me like there trying to pull a fast one.

Its down the the people living there to make sure they have one so i would just ignore them as there's nothing they can do.

If you all paid towards it when you were living there then obviously its going to be more per person now as you have moved out so its less people paying towards it.

As a new customer she'll pay for her first year’s TV Licence within the first six months, at around £24 a month. She'll then pay for her next licence in twelve monthly instalments of just over £12.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay/payment-methods/viewpaymentcontent.aspx?id=pay8&iqdocumentid=pay8

• Haha 1

Hi

Now the TV Licence did everyone contributed to the licence or was it solely your wife that contributed?

A TV Licence would be there responsibility as they are residing there not you. Does it mention anything about a tv licence in your tenancy agreement

No, there was no mention of the TV licence in the tenancy agreement. Presumably though, as our names are still on the current contract as far as I'm, aware, we are still responsible for helping with bills despite having given notice and having moved out?

You do realise you can transfer the licence from your old address to your new one? Or you can claim a refund for the remaining months.

have you cancelled your tenancy with the landlord? If not you'll still be bound by the tenancy agreement.

Well I gave my notice to leave, and have left of course. Im not sure what else I can do, or whether I have done enough as it is?

Well if you have given notice & the notice period has now expired & you've now left that's the end of any tenancy agreement and ergo any responsibility you may have had.

Did you get your deposit back?

The notice period has definitely expired, but the contract goes on until next year. The landlady, however, said we could drop out of it if we found another flatmate.

No we didn't get our deposit back, the landlady told me by telephone she would send it over. She then went to our ex flatmates, who we fell out with, who told her that we had nicked off with a hoover and curtains. The hoover is ours, and the curtains are still in the flat.

As a new customer she'll pay for her first year’s TV Licence within the first six months, at around £24 a month. She'll then pay for her next licence in twelve monthly instalments of just over £12.

Is there no way they can just pay it all in the 12 months? Then they wont get so stung.

Is there no way they can just pay it all in the 12 months? Then they wont get so stung.

Hello there.

They could look into paying a lump sum, although I have to say I can't remember how the system works.

Have you kept the licence? I'm wondering if you could let the ex-flatmates keep the unexpired part of the one you hold, unless it's with you and you're using it.

Fwiw, I don't get the logic of you paying for something they're responsible for, it all sounds rather petty.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

They can pay it any way they like, the link in post #4 gives the various methods.

They aren't being stung tho' as the money they pay over a period still adds up to the licence fee. It's just initially it's paid over six months rather than a year.

We need some T details for OP

date T commenced

fixed term duration

date OP served NTQ and how served

So, I think by T you mean tenancy. Tenancy started in January, until jan 2013. (of course we've left, put our notice in and so on now)

fixed term duration, yes, it was a year long contract -

Not sure what you mean by OP. If you mean the day I gave my month's notice, it was the 31st of July, although it took us a month and a week to move, although we paid for the extra week of course. My wife then stayed there for an extra week in one of the flatmate's rooms.

Lemme know if u need any more info.

So, I think by T you mean tenancy. Tenancy started in January, until jan 2013. (of course we've left, put our notice in and so on now)

fixed term duration, yes, it was a year long contract -

Not sure what you mean by OP. If you mean the day I gave my month's notice, it was the 31st of July, although it took us a month and a week to move, although we paid for the extra week of course. My wife then stayed there for an extra week in one of the flatmate's rooms.

Lemme know if u need any more info.

Also it was served in an email, which she accepted.

• 4 months later...

it short and simple really. If it's a houseshare i.e. you all have your own TV's and have nothing to do with each others TV, you pay your own license.

It kinda works like the old Poll Tax