• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HFO Services- advice needed on how to pay off this debt once and for all

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am looking for advice on behalf of my dad on how to deal with 2 debts that were bought by HFO services.

This has been ongoing for some time and my dad has managed to pay of all of his other debts via payments plans etc and now only these two are left.

The difficulty is that since setting up a payment plan with them he never receives any communication from them

- no statements etc so he has no idea what the balance is or how much interest they have applied etc.

After a lot of harrassment over the phone which led to changing phone numbers etc

and sending lots of letters asking them to only communicate in writing a payment plan for each loan was set up.

The original debts were for Morgan Stanley/Goldfish) and (Monument).

These debts were bought in 2007.

The first payment plan was set up in Dec 2008 but had to be changed as the direct debit kept on being taken out on different days

and my dad gets paid weekly so sometimes the payments bounced (which led to another phonecall and letter and another charge).

The last statement received for each was in Feb 2010 which was when the 2nd payment plan was set up

where the monthly payment would be taken by standing order.

According to this payment plans the final payments should be taken on 20/03/14.

Ideally we want to find out the balance of the debts today and how much interest has been applied,

check that it is correct and then pay these debts off in full.

Please can anyone advise on how best to proceed?

When were these accounts first taken out?

When was the last payment made to them?

How many DCA's have been chasing this?

Keep EVERYTHING in writing, if they ring laugh and hang up.

What does your Dads credit file say?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I am assuming that your Dad is currently paying, so no possibility of statute barred.

A CCA request will get you a statement balance without ringing any bells about having some extra money to pay off the debt. Make sure you request a full statement of account. A CCA request might also get you a non compliant response, in which case the DCA will turn the volume down considerably.

A non compliant response will also get you a better response to a full and final settlement offer. Care is needed to follow teh protocol, but this could get the debts settled for a lower amount. You need to know if your Dad will consider this, or whether he wants to pay fully.

More info on F&Fs here:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=24_full_and_final_settlement_offers

who adding charges?

HFO are one of the biggest spoofers on the dca circuit

i would CCA them for both.

to be honest

i smell a cash cow here.

to me

it sounds like your dad has been spoofed into paying these debt

when there is no need too.

if they've not been sending regular [better than annual]

statements

then they should have.

this again is a sign he has been spoofed

STAY OFF THAT PHONE

no DCA has ANY legal powers !!

pers i'd SAR both original creditors

and

get a copy of his CRA file.

see below.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

DX's advice is always very good, but it is kind of 200 mph stuff. (Sorry DX - but to a newcomer it is that. Not that long since I was one).

Spoofing is claiming money when there is no legal entitlement. (I am digging in to a mortgage shortfall I suspect I am being spoofed for).

Annual statements are a legal requirement for an agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, where interest is being charged. It could be that they are not charging interest - as far as I understand it there is no obligation for statements if so.

You need to sound your Dad out about his willingness to challenge these debts. He could possibly claim back unfair fees, challenge the legality of the accounts and end up paying a lot less than HFO thinks he owes.

However, if he is an old fashioned "man of honour" the satisfaction of paying in full will be worth more to him than (what he might see) as cheating them of a few quid.

I was brought up by "men of honour" and know the value in that.

My point is - DX's and the rest of us Caggers can give good advice on various strategies. But we will need to know what sort of strategy your Dad wants to adopt.

Oops - looks like I blathered on. Soz. :wink:

We have the original CCA for both debts from when we first found out that HFO had bought these debts in 2007. What should I do with these? On one of them the small print isnt really legible.

I just tried the CRA noddle but my dad doesnt have any cards anymore so not sure how to get the report as cannot complete the verify your ID step?

Note they dont contact my dad in anyway since setting up the payment plan, no letters, no calls, no statements.

Hi Bandit,

My dad wants to pay what he owes - but would be happy to challenge any unfair additional interest that HFO have added. He has managed to pay off 4 similar debts with other companies that have worked with him to agree a fair payment plan. Lloyds for example froze the interest at the point of the payment plan commencing on the agrrement that they would receive an agreed amount per month until the debt was paid in full.

You will need to get the £2 statutory credit report by post instructions are on the CRA websites, Experian or Equifax are quicker and more up to date.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Did you get the ‘agreement’ copies through a CCA request?

Time for a strongly-worded letter and another CCA request, I think... they CANNOT add any charges to the account unless they are allowed for in the original agreement (although HFO have claimed in the past that once an agreement is terminated, its conditions don’t apply any more – they like to have their cake and eat it).

As mentioned above, they are obliged by law to send you annual statements. If they don’t they CANNOT charge interest (and I bet they have done at some point).

Did you get the ‘agreement’ copies through a CCA request?

Time for a strongly-worded letter and another CCA request, I think... they CANNOT add any charges to the account unless they are allowed for in the original agreement (although HFO have claimed in the past that once an agreement is terminated, its conditions don’t apply any more – they like to have their cake and eat it).

As mentioned above, they are obliged by law to send you annual statements. If they don’t they CANNOT charge interest (and I bet they have done at some point).

DB, I have been looking at the HFO claim the T&Cs are not relevant after termination a learned colleague has said there is some merit in this BUT if such a claim is made it could and only could be submitted that therefore their right to collect under said Ts & Cs is open to challenge.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

We have the original CCA for both debts from when we first found out that HFO had bought these debts in 2007. What should I do with these? On one of them the small print isnt really legible.

I will requesr statutory credit report by post this week.

DonkeyB - I did get the agreement copies through the CCA request.

If the copy agreement isn't easily legible then they haven't complied with your CCA request. i.e. unless all the prescribed terms are easily legible.

See below;

Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983

2 Legibility of notices and copy documents and wording of prescribed Forms

(1) The lettering in every notice in a Form prescribed by these Regulations and in every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other document referred to in the Act and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall, apart from any signature, be easily legible and of a colour which is readily distinguishable from the .

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

i see PPI on one of those

so bear that in mind too

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

now what a surprise!!

dx

and they