• Tweets

• The problem is that each time you have given them notice, you have then continued which effectively nullifies the notice. I agree that you have given them enough notice – but each time the notice is effectively cancelled because you continue not standing by your word. I hope you can start to see that when you state a position and then you move the position, you simply lose credibility and effectively you have to begin again. You need to put everything beyond doubt and so you should send the letter which I've suggested.  If you have some partner or someone who was also getting involved then I think that you had better make sure that you are communicating well with each other and that it is agreed that somebody is taking the lead. Otherwise, the left hand will not know what the right hand is doing and it will only be when you find yourself in court and defending a claim for an administrative fee or a council contract that it then comes back to bite you in the bum – both of your bums.. You must give notice in order to protect your position. Very sorry, but the letter which was sent was reckless. Send a letter which I have suggested giving seven days notice and a 14 day backstop for completing the work. Of course there was always one danger and that is that you could give notice, they then start the work within the notice period – and then it starts to dawdle along and take too long. However, giving them 14 day backstop to actually have the work completed should protect your position. Send the letter now. Also calculate if you are within 120 days of the date that you made the payment on your debit card – and if you did then begin a chargeback with your bank. If it's longer than 120 days then you will be able to do the chargeback and then maybe the best thing to do is to write it off – unless they decide to see you and in that case you can make a counterclaim.  
    • Lookinforinfo, these are two separate letters for two separate tickets, one 07.02.19 and one 03.08.19.   karel, I've added the post code to the thread title to identify the car park better.  It would be helpful if you could edit the sticky, you don't know when the NTKs arrived as you never received them.   The good news is that these debt collectors have no power so you can sit back, relax and ignore their drivel.   In the long term though you might want to consider sending a SAR to Horizon to find out what they originally sent and maybe work out why you never received it.
    • Just in addition, in the beginning we made it very clear we didn't want the work carried out during Autumn and winter, we have a young child at home and are not prepared to put his health at risk.. Also as we had said, to go beyond the specified dates is not feasible as one of the builders has already returned home and the other one has already stayed longer than planned so to start it now wouldn't be an option.
    • it's not a violation, it's a speculative invoice for breaking some imaginary contract the driver made with ECP by driving onto the land.   Enterprise are breaking contract law by charging you £35 as they did not enter into the contract the £35 is a penalty admin and as such is unlawful .   pers i'd go do a chargeback to your bank. they have no legal right to charge anything. all they are required to do is inform the PPC of the ID of tthe driver...you that does not cost £35!! more like 50p    
    • In connection to the following ?    
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

ESA WRAG - voluntary work..

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2926 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I'm on EAS in the WRAG and recently a friend has opened a shop. I'd like to help out as and when I'm feeling able to, and as I understand it, this is allowed under the 'permitted work' rules. I won't be paid and it will be 2-6 hours a week when I'm up to it. Can anyone tell me if this is OK?

My advisor at the jobcentre is off sick and nobody there seems to be able to tell me anything.

If I have been helpful in any way, please tip my scales :lol:

:deathbycrayons:

Disability Rights UK Factsheet 35 has all you need to know about permitted work.

Google 'Volunteering while getting benefits' for a useful booklet from Jobcentreplus.

You don't need permission from your doctor or Jobcentreplus but you need to tell Jobcentreplus about permitted work on a PW1 form.

Some people feel that Atos/Jobcentreplus use permitted work against them during work capability assessments.

Should you decide to work in your friend's shop, good luck, Margaret.

Permitted work is more about paid work, with rules about who you can work for, and how much you can earn(before it affects your benefits)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_171909

I would put forward what you want to do simply as "Work related activity", a way to prepare for part/full time employment.

Edited by down'n'out

I spoke to my advisor at the job centre and she said I can't do it :( She said the shop isn't a voluntary organisation and they should pay me if I work there. Even if I don't get any money for working there it's still classed as working. I am so upset as it is the only place I can see myself being able to do any sort of work at the moment being as they're friends, it's a very relaxed atmosphere and they understand my disability.

She said the shop isn't a voluntary organisation and they should pay me if I work there. Even if I don't get any money for working there it's still classed as working.

You need to remember that if/when the goverment bring in mandatory work activity for those on ESA WRAG, working at places such as Tesco 30 hours pw for no wage.

You need to put forward to your advisor that it is not work, it is "work related activity", in that it will get you accustomed to getting out of the house and in a place with others you can interact with, which will help build self confidence.

I know of people who have done such work (in non-charity places) all with the blessing and knowledge of JCP/DWP however both of them had this taken into account by ATOS at their next assessments and they were told they were not eligible for ESA, a decision their Tribunals upheld. So worth bearing in mind that if you do any such work you are proving to the DWP that you can.

.......however both of them had this taken into account by ATOS at their next assessments and they were told they were not eligible for ESA, a decision their Tribunals upheld.

That is one of the things that gives me great concern about the possibility that those on WRAG will be forced to do "Training"/"Work placement" for 30 hours pw (something I have mentioned before).

If you cannot do the work, you are sanctioned, lose all benefit. If you complete the work, then seen as "Fit for work"

If I am to just pop into the shop and help out as and when, for an hour or 2 a week, and this is questioned by DWP, if I simply say it's work related activity and I am helping a friend out of good will, would that be legit?

I have been trying to find official information concerning this, but it is (more than likely intentionally) vague.

Looking at the

Disability Rights UK Factsheet 35

That does put forward what you want to do would be classed as voluntary work.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/f35.htm

Voluntary Work

If you get incapacity benefit or severe disablement allowance you are allowed to do voluntary work for anyone other than a close relative (parent (or in-law or step-parent), son/daughter (in-law/step), brother, sister or the partner of any of these).

If you get employment and support allowance or income support, you are allowed to do voluntary work for anyone other than a relative.

You must not be paid for your work, other than expenses 'reasonably incurred by [you] in connection with that work'. Permitted expenses could include travel, meals, childminding, the costs of caring for a dependant, equipment needed for work and use of a telephone. There is no limit on the number of hours you can volunteer.

If you get income support you can do voluntary work without your income support being affected. If you get income support on the basis of being incapable of work, the work must be for someone other than a family member, otherwise you will be regarded as capable of work. Care you provide for a relative will not count as voluntary work.

I think the problem being is this isn't voluntary work in the main sense of the term, voluntary work tends to be thought of as helping a charity or the vulnerable in the community whereas the suggestion here is they want to work helping a friend make money/profit/line their pockets. Which may be seen differently.

Edited by abc123def
I think the problem being is this isn't voluntary work in the main sense of the term, voluntary work tends to be thought of as helping a charity of the vulnerable in the community whereas the suggestion here is they want to work helping a friend make money/profit/line their pockets. Which may be seen differently.

I agree with you, abc. When it was suggested I should do voluntary work, it was what you say charities or with the vulnerable, not with a commercial enterprise.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum