ESA WRAG - voluntary work..

deathbycrayons
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm on EAS in the WRAG and recently a friend has opened a shop. I'd like to help out as and when I'm feeling able to, and as I understand it, this is allowed under the 'permitted work' rules. I won't be paid and it will be 2-6 hours a week when I'm up to it. Can anyone tell me if this is OK?

My advisor at the jobcentre is off sick and nobody there seems to be able to tell me anything.

If I have been helpful in any way, please tip my scales :lol:

:deathbycrayons:

Disability Rights UK Factsheet 35 has all you need to know about permitted work.

Google 'Volunteering while getting benefits' for a useful booklet from Jobcentreplus.

You don't need permission from your doctor or Jobcentreplus but you need to tell Jobcentreplus about permitted work on a PW1 form.

Some people feel that Atos/Jobcentreplus use permitted work against them during work capability assessments.

Should you decide to work in your friend's shop, good luck, Margaret.

Permitted work is more about paid work, with rules about who you can work for, and how much you can earn(before it affects your benefits)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_171909

I would put forward what you want to do simply as "Work related activity", a way to prepare for part/full time employment.

Edited by down'n'out

I spoke to my advisor at the job centre and she said I can't do it :( She said the shop isn't a voluntary organisation and they should pay me if I work there. Even if I don't get any money for working there it's still classed as working. I am so upset as it is the only place I can see myself being able to do any sort of work at the moment being as they're friends, it's a very relaxed atmosphere and they understand my disability.

She said the shop isn't a voluntary organisation and they should pay me if I work there. Even if I don't get any money for working there it's still classed as working.

You need to remember that if/when the goverment bring in mandatory work activity for those on ESA WRAG, working at places such as Tesco 30 hours pw for no wage.

You need to put forward to your advisor that it is not work, it is "work related activity", in that it will get you accustomed to getting out of the house and in a place with others you can interact with, which will help build self confidence.

I know of people who have done such work (in non-charity places) all with the blessing and knowledge of JCP/DWP however both of them had this taken into account by ATOS at their next assessments and they were told they were not eligible for ESA, a decision their Tribunals upheld. So worth bearing in mind that if you do any such work you are proving to the DWP that you can.

.......however both of them had this taken into account by ATOS at their next assessments and they were told they were not eligible for ESA, a decision their Tribunals upheld.

That is one of the things that gives me great concern about the possibility that those on WRAG will be forced to do "Training"/"Work placement" for 30 hours pw (something I have mentioned before).

If you cannot do the work, you are sanctioned, lose all benefit. If you complete the work, then seen as "Fit for work"

If I am to just pop into the shop and help out as and when, for an hour or 2 a week, and this is questioned by DWP, if I simply say it's work related activity and I am helping a friend out of good will, would that be legit?

I have been trying to find official information concerning this, but it is (more than likely intentionally) vague.

Looking at the

Disability Rights UK Factsheet 35

That does put forward what you want to do would be classed as voluntary work.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/f35.htm

Voluntary Work

If you get incapacity benefit or severe disablement allowance you are allowed to do voluntary work for anyone other than a close relative (parent (or in-law or step-parent), son/daughter (in-law/step), brother, sister or the partner of any of these).

If you get employment and support allowance or income support, you are allowed to do voluntary work for anyone other than a relative.

You must not be paid for your work, other than expenses 'reasonably incurred by [you] in connection with that work'. Permitted expenses could include travel, meals, childminding, the costs of caring for a dependant, equipment needed for work and use of a telephone. There is no limit on the number of hours you can volunteer.

If you get income support you can do voluntary work without your income support being affected. If you get income support on the basis of being incapable of work, the work must be for someone other than a family member, otherwise you will be regarded as capable of work. Care you provide for a relative will not count as voluntary work.

I think the problem being is this isn't voluntary work in the main sense of the term, voluntary work tends to be thought of as helping a charity or the vulnerable in the community whereas the suggestion here is they want to work helping a friend make money/profit/line their pockets. Which may be seen differently.

Edited by abc123def

I think the problem being is this isn't voluntary work in the main sense of the term, voluntary work tends to be thought of as helping a charity of the vulnerable in the community whereas the suggestion here is they want to work helping a friend make money/profit/line their pockets. Which may be seen differently.

I agree with you, abc. When it was suggested I should do voluntary work, it was what you say charities or with the vulnerable, not with a commercial enterprise.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum