style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

We broke-down in France last week and have been flown home by the AA.

We then got a call to say it was the clutch and it would cost 800 Euro's.

I've checked and it seems this is a lot of money and in the UK for example it would only cost about £300. It does appear it would cost more in france but still not as much as the quote.

Do I have any rights to dispute this amount?

Thanks

You can't really go by how much it is in the UK, you need to know the labour rates and cost of parts which might all warrant the doubling of the price. It's a case of 'offer and accept' or 'offer and decline', there's not a lot you can do after the fact except see what other French garages would charge so you have a comparison.

If it's done and paid for, that means you have accepted the price and there's not a lot more you can do.

If you speak any French then it's definitely worth arguing the price with the garage. Otherwise they'll just charge you as much as they think they can because they think you won't argue. If it's all been done then you don't have as much room to negotiate but you are still entitled to a full breakdown of the price (excuse the pun) before you pay. If there is really any over-charging then it should then be obvious. Most things are more expensive there though.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

We were due to drive to Paris so before we went I go the car serviced along with the MOT, just to be sure we didn't have any problems (its an 04 Ford KA).

However, despite us going to Paris 10 days after the Service/MOT the clutch went in Paris. We then had to have the car recovered to the UK (this was paid for by breakdown cover). We also had to fly back to the UK, cost not covered.

Also, the report on the car from the garage who changed the clutch shows a number of other faults that were not picked up in the previous service/MOT.

So my question is, is there any obligation that a garage should pick up such major faults when inspecting the car with a service and MOT?

Thanks for any feedback

Hi All,

We broke down in Paris a while ago and as we had Eurostar cover, we called them and they recovered the car back to the UK and organised a flight back to the UK for us.

All seemed well, even impressive. However, today we got a letter informing that we are not covered for the passage home as missing our return journey due to a broken-down car is excluded from our policy.

Firstly, this seems unfair as it was a break-down policy. But my main issue is that the company actually suggested and arranged for us to fly home. At no point were we told this would be a cost we would incur.

Any idea on our rights for this?

Thank you

As far as I'm aware, the clutch would not be an item that would be checked within a "normal" service ther than if you had brought it to the garage's attention as a concern you had, or there was some very obvious slippage or similar that they noticed while driving it around the workshop.

If you have been driving it with no concern prior to service, and driven all teh way to Paris (and other normal journeys) then this would suggest there was no long term problem with it so I don't think you have any recourse against the service garage.

What "other faults" have you now found and would these be things that you could have reasonably expected the servicing/MOT garage to find?

Thanks for the reply Crem. I will have to look up the other faults I'm not sure off-hand.

You mention about the clutch slipping. This had always happened since we brought the car second hand a few years back. However, even with the new clutch it still slips, is this normal?

Thanks agian :)

I cant understand how a clutch could slip for a few years as it would burn out very quickly once the fault develops, furthermore a replacement should never slip.

However there is a primative method of checking, with the engine running and by putting slight pressure on the accelerator put the car in top gear, fully release the clutch slowly and if the engine continues to run without stalling then return it to the repairer.

These components do not form part of the MOT or basic servicing.

I have never heard of a breakdown policy that would leave you stranded as most seem to recover you back to the UK otherwise how would you get back if they took the car back to the UK? Seems strange. Have you checked the T & Cs of the policies and what was included?

These components do not form part of the MOT or basic servicing.

+1

Clutches are funny things really. I wont go into it too much, but apart from the method of putting it in gear with the brakes on and seeing if it stops dead when you release the clutch, there's no real pointer to it's condition. If it's an '04 plate, I'd say it'd be well due a clutch by now. If it's always "slipped", I'd say there's an issue from when it was new (either a faulty hydraulic unit or cable). Either way, it's certainly not right and will not be inspected as part of any annual inspection, other than maybe noted on a health check.

The clutch isn't a service item, except that if it is adjustable on the cable. Virtually all clutches these days are self adjusting via a mechanism on the cable or they are hydraulically operated. If the car drove into the workshop and didn't exhibit any abnormalities on the post service road test then the technician wouldn't any reason to suspect that it may fail in the near future.

On the MOT the clutch isn't testable, even if the tester did notice something wrong with it he is under no obligation to advise it. You may be under the impression that the MOT is some sort of vehicle health check, it's not. A mot is conducted without removing parts from the car, what maybe noticed when access is good may not be necessarily seen on a MOT.

What are these items that were noted?

• 3 months later...

I have a 2004 KA and I'm having to take it back to the garage every month or so for differant problems.

I need to book it to go to garage again today. What is the best way to approach this in-light of having the car assessed for bad workmanship previously? Should I get them to write a report?

I'm taking it to a new garage. But what else should I do, any ideas?

Thank You :)

If you can give us a few more details of what work you have had carried out and why you believe it is bad workmanship?

Is this the same fault month after month or are they connected ?

How long have you owned the car?

What is the mileage?