BankFodder BankFodder

Droopy

Disputed 15 year old "debt"

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2689 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Greetings :wink:

I am new to the Consumer Action Group and I have spent quite a while looking around.

It seems that you are doing great things here and I could use a little advice myself.

Bit of History

I have just spent seven years in a Debt Management Plan with Payplan (who I can definitely recommend)and I have just become debt free (or so I thought) after repaying over £40k.

It damned near killed me (seriously – I had a major heart attack half way through) and it was recommended I declare myself bankrupt more than once, but I stuck at it and I finally paid everything.

Problem

I have just received a letter from 1st Credit looking for me. Not wanting to stick my head in the sand, I called them, to be told by the nice man that I owed some £2.5k on a Lombard bank loan going back to an address I moved away from 15 years ago. Tis jogged my memory as I will explain, but I told him that I wouldn’t be making full payment today as I disputed the loan was mine and asked him to supply me with a copy of the agreement. His said he would supply this and I bid him goodbye.

Lombard Bank

This “debt” from Lombard bank first raised its head around 8 years ago. I honestly don’t recall having dealt with them and I don’t think this debt is mine.

This debt has been sold and re sold several times and 1st Credit have tried to collect before. Every time a new company tries to collect, every 2 years or so, I ask for a copy of the credit agreement and dispute the debt. They then tend to go away only for a different company to try and collect a couple of years later.

I have checked my Equifax records and there is no mention on my file.

Is there any way to stop these people keep dragging this up? It appears they have no more proof that I am responsible for this loan than I have.

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Scott

Hi and welcome to CAG!

This debt would be Statue barred.

When they finally send you some details, let us know.

DO not speak to these people on the phone ever.

Hi Havinastella,

I am havinanaldidietcoke :smile:

I picked up the "don't speak " thing whilst trawling around and it does seem like good advice.

Will shout up when i hear from them again

Thanks

Scott

or you could send them the statute barred letter and be rid of them

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

Can i do this ?

I don't recall ever making a payment as i don't recall taking out the loan. If i did, it was 15 years or more ago.

I am contacted every couple of years by a succesion of Debt collection companies

Sccott

send the stat barred letter, and let them prove otherwise, but beware the "phantom" payment [problem]

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

UPDATE

Hi all,

Had another letter from the nice chaps at 1st Credit offering me a discount if i paid them now.

They have clearly taken no notice of me disputing the debt, so i have reiterated my point and sent the "statute barred" letter by recorded post

i shall await their next move

:wink:

Let me guess it read like an 'annual statement'......and was 3 pages in size. You have done the right thing so far, but please keep us posted.

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

Not heard a thing since i sent the statute barred letter

Hope it has solved the problem but fear it will merely be passed around at some point in the future.

Not heard a thing since i sent the statute barred letter

You shouldn't do, the must adhere to OFT guidelines and suspend any collection activities until such time that they can prove the debt isn't Statute Barred. In reality they should notify you that they have closed the file.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT