Disputed 15 year old "debt"

Droopy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Greetings :wink:

I am new to the Consumer Action Group and I have spent quite a while looking around.

It seems that you are doing great things here and I could use a little advice myself.

Bit of History

I have just spent seven years in a Debt Management Plan with Payplan (who I can definitely recommend)and I have just become debt free (or so I thought) after repaying over £40k.

It damned near killed me (seriously – I had a major heart attack half way through) and it was recommended I declare myself bankrupt more than once, but I stuck at it and I finally paid everything.

Problem

I have just received a letter from 1st Credit looking for me. Not wanting to stick my head in the sand, I called them, to be told by the nice man that I owed some £2.5k on a Lombard bank loan going back to an address I moved away from 15 years ago. Tis jogged my memory as I will explain, but I told him that I wouldn’t be making full payment today as I disputed the loan was mine and asked him to supply me with a copy of the agreement. His said he would supply this and I bid him goodbye.

Lombard Bank

This “debt” from Lombard bank first raised its head around 8 years ago. I honestly don’t recall having dealt with them and I don’t think this debt is mine.

This debt has been sold and re sold several times and 1st Credit have tried to collect before. Every time a new company tries to collect, every 2 years or so, I ask for a copy of the credit agreement and dispute the debt. They then tend to go away only for a different company to try and collect a couple of years later.

I have checked my Equifax records and there is no mention on my file.

Is there any way to stop these people keep dragging this up? It appears they have no more proof that I am responsible for this loan than I have.

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Scott

Hi Havinastella,

I am havinanaldidietcoke :smile:

I picked up the "don't speak " thing whilst trawling around and it does seem like good advice.

Will shout up when i hear from them again

Thanks

Scott

or you could send them the statute barred letter and be rid of them

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Hi all,

Had another letter from the nice chaps at 1st Credit offering me a discount if i paid them now.

They have clearly taken no notice of me disputing the debt, so i have reiterated my point and sent the "statute barred" letter by recorded post

i shall await their next move

:wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Not heard a thing since i sent the statute barred letter

You shouldn't do, the must adhere to OFT guidelines and suspend any collection activities until such time that they can prove the debt isn't Statute Barred. In reality they should notify you that they have closed the file.