AA driving instructor - advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having purchased 4 hours tuition for my daughter from Groupon, her instructor arrived today for her first, 2 hour lesson.

I discussed future hourly rates with him etc and asked what his pass rate was. I was surprised to hear that he doesn't have one... he said that he only puts pupils in for a test 'when they are test-ready' but that 'some fail because of silly mistakes' Some fail the 2nd time too. For that reason he doesn't keep pass rate reco.rds. (having failed twice myself for silly mistakes I can appreciate that that does happen)

He seemed pleasant enough, seemed to have good record keeping booklets for daughter and himself but again shrugged his shoulders over the pass rate query. I have just realised that I didn't ask how long he has been an instructor - maybe he is new at it.

Other than by personal reference this is the only way that I felt I could gauge his competence, of course I suppose he could just have lied and said his pass rate was first class!. Any comments or suggestions please.

Thank you

I'm not sure on exactly you want comments about. Was it his lack of pass rates?

As for his comments about pupils and being test ready I think that's normal practice.

Personally as you only booked 4 hours I would have your daughter use them and then ask her is she comfortable continuing or would she prefer someone else.

I think a big part of learning to drive is how well you get on with your instructor.

Thanks for replying - sorry that I wasn't very clear in my post.

I think that I was just surprised that he couldn't/wouldn't give me any indication of how successful he is at teaching. My initial conclusion was that he was not a very competent instructor and I wondered if anyone here could have shed light on whether expecting details of pass rates was unreasonable.

Anyway - my daughter was happy with her first lesson and the next session has been booked. It seems that he is a new instructor with just 5 months experience. That hasn't ruled him out for future lessons though I will play it by ear.

The best way of picking an instructor is by word of mouth. Pass rates vary between instructors due to many reasons, and not always due to the quality of instruction. For example, an instructor who teaches in an area with a high number of pupils who don't speak English as a first language, is likely to have a lower pass rate than somebody from a more affluent area, where more lessons have been purchased enabling that person to pass first time.

There are so many factors that effect the pass rate, like how many times a person sat the test, how many pupils the instructor has with learning difficulties etc, and also many pupils insist on taking their test before they are ready which effects the pass rate too.

I passed my test last year, also with the AA, and started off with an instructor with a very high pass rate. I got rid of him after a few lessons as he was an awful bully, and was so scared of making a mistake. I was then given an instructor who had only been teaching for 3mths and he was so lovely. He got me through my test first time with no minors.

It has to be about the rapport the pupil feels with the teacher. How at ease you are. He would have passed his ADI test in order to teach which I think only around 9% do as it's an incredibly difficult test. See how she gets on. Don't book too many lessons at once until she gets a feel of how comfortable she is with him.

I wish her all the best with her lessons.

• Haha 1

How would you expect him to calculate his pass rate?

Should it be how many pass first time (I would quote 40% using my figures)

Should it be how many of his pupils who go to test eventually pass, with multiple tests. (I would quote 80% using my figures).

Should it include pupils that never actually reach test standard but give up learning to drive (even I can't give a figure for mine and I use an extensive computer spreadsheet to store my lessons/pupils). If he is ot using a computerised system, trying to calculate this type of information by hand would be difficult and time consuming.

My point being, like many statistic based information, depending how you look at the figures, they can indicate answers that are poles apart. As liverbird has said though, the really important consideration is how well your daughter gets on with the instructor, providing of course that he is delivering sound learning.