Can I be traced for (small) unpaid bank overdraft - Live in Asia?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I read through all the posts here, but couldn't find any similar case. I've just left UK last month without cancelling my Amazon premium subscription, which charged me £49 on 1st October. Lloyds made it into overdraft charge, and now I have £80 overdraft fee. Unfortunately I have left UK already and withdraw all money from my bank account.

Can I be traced for this unpaid debt? Or worse, will I be brought to court for this debt? Although this amount is not big, I'm afraid it will be doubled (or tripled??) and become a large amount in the future? I live in Asia.

I feel awkward now :( Please consult me.

Edited by seinami

See if Amazon will refund, as you will have no use of the account, now you are out of the UK. If they do refund, then any amount will go back to your bank account and at least help.

You should have let the bank know that you were leaving the country, so they could take the appropriate action. Contact them now to explain the situation and they should put the account on hold. They may require you to complete a form with your signature to close the account.

Don't just leave this, as they will continue to apply charges and if you ever moved back to the UK, this might bite you in the backside.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Many thanks for your response. It really helps!

Btw, if I close the account, do I still have to pay the debt? Or the bank can give me some support and cancel this amount?

Many thanks.

Hello,

It's true that I can receive the refund (thank God!). But at the moment of direct debit, I have no money in bank account, so overdraft charge applies :(

Now I know that I should pay the debt (as previous answers). But should I contact the bank to close my account as well or put £80 back to my account to pay it?

Many thank for all answers!

Edited by seinami

You should write to the bank asking very nicely for the charge to be refunded, as it was an honest oversight that the charge was made, as evidenced by the fact that it has (or will) be refunded. If your account has otherwise been well-run then they will probably accept that. If they refuse after two letters then you should probably just pay.

Either way, close the account once resolved. You run the risk of fraud and further 'mistakes' otherwise, which will be a problem if you come back to the UK.

If sending letters from abroad then I suggest paying for proof of delivery (signed for). Or maybe you could get a friend in the UK to print the letter out and post it in the normal, cheap way.

Hi,

I have been trying to find Lloyds' email but effort fails. All contacts are telephone numbers only, and international call is too expensive to make.

Do you know email of Lloyds Tsb in UK or any other way to contact them to explain my case in words?

Many thanks.

The problem has been solved. Lloyds is such a great bank!

For any similar case, just simply call +44 1733 347 007 from abroad and explain your case. The counselor probably process your case and the bank will charge you £6.24 for interest rate in 8 days. No need to pay any overdraft fee.

Simple and quick. Good customer service. Love Lloyds.

Many thanks for all answers that I received during last 2 days. I really appreciate that and wish you all the best.