help with employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do you think I am right to be upset about this, and that it is quite unfair?  

4 Caggers have voted

1. 1. Do you think I am right to be upset about this, and that it is quite unfair?

• Yes
    • No

Hi all,

This is a bit of a tricky one, sorry to be so long winded but I just need a bit of help.

I started with my employer just under 2 years ago on an apprenticeship, on an apprenticeship wage. After 1 year my salary was increased to national minimum wage. I work in a department of around 10 (excluding departmental manager), but we are in two teams of 5, each team doing different things.

A couple of months ago 3 of the team (not me as my job is a bit different) where put on 0 hour contracts, only getting paid based on the work they did. After around 2 months, one of the 3 decided she did not want to accept the new contract and quit.

At that point my team leader got worried that she could not handle all the work she had herself and asked our departmental manager if it would be possible to put the lady back on a full time contract again. This was accepted and she is now back with us.

I believe that I could do this job but I was never even considered! My team leader has trained me on different parts of the role and knows I can do most of it. I feel that with a couple of hours more training, I could of mastered it. The lady that got taken back on went on holiday for two weeks almost straight away and I had to do different tasks of hers (e.g. invoices, sending reports etc.). Now, these tasks seem to of become my responsibility (team leader and department manager chasing ME up for invoices etc. even when the lady came back off holiday).

I dont mind doing these tasks, as I do enjoy it, but the lady is actually getting paid around £6500 more than me a year. I just find it very annoying that I was not even considered to do this job and given a small pay rise. Instead, somebody has a strop and quits, so they let her come back.

It feels asif she is being paid a lot more money for the tasks that I am doing!

The part I want hep with is to maybe write a letter to my department manager. I do not want to write something where I seem angry/upset/moody, I just feel like I need to say something. I do not want to just speak to the manager, as when I am speaking, I forget certain things and get a bit panicky. So I do feel a letter would be a lot better for me to write.

I just want to know, how I could write this, telling my manager how I feel. I don't think anything would actually happen from doing it, but it is really annoying me now. I do a lot for the whole company and I am on the lowest wage in the company out of every department.

I don't want anybody to write a letter for me, but maybe just a structure to it, or maybe a different idea to put my point accross.

Again, sorry about this being so long, I just didn't know how to keep it short.

Thanks

Hi Top,

I think your showing a great approach to this, and hopefully you get what you want out of it. Are you still on an apprenticeship or did it end and you were taken on full time? It seems you are happy to take on the extra tasks, but the issue is in extra money to go with it?

I would write a letter, to the decision maker, explaining you are very happy with your role, with the company in general and with your collegaues and boss, and that you have appreciated the apprenticeship opportunity they have given you.

You feel you have progressed well into the role and in light of your increasing responsibilities (list the things that you are doing that are extra, as well as all the things you do as part of your normal day job) you feel it would be appropriate for them to consider an increase in your salary to reflect this. Explain that you understand times are hard, however you know from feedback from your manager etc that you are doing a good job and you don't think it would be unreasonable for this to be reflected in your salary.

I wouldn't mention the other person...all you are concerned with is you get paid a fair wage for the job you do. They may say no, but if you put your case resonably, there is every chance they will say yes. Others may be able to offer some more suggestions too.

Forgot to mention to keep the same attitude, they will really appreciate that even though you are happy with your money you are not stropping round the place.

Good luck

Tinks

Edit...NOT happy with money

Edited by tinka
Edit
:|If you're going through hell, keep going! :|

Hi Top,

I think your showing a great approach to this, and hopefully you get what you want out of it. Are you still on an apprenticeship or did it end and you were taken on full time? It seems you are happy to take on the extra tasks, but the issue is in extra money to go with it?

I would write a letter, to the decision maker, explaining you are very happy with your role, with the company in general and with your collegaues and boss, and that you have appreciated the apprenticeship opportunity they have given you.

You feel you have progressed well into the role and in light of your increasing responsibilities (list the things that you are doing that are extra, as well as all the things you do as part of your normal day job) you feel it would be appropriate for them to consider an increase in your salary to reflect this. Explain that you understand times are hard, however you know from feedback from your manager etc that you are doing a good job and you don't think it would be unreasonable for this to be reflected in your salary.

I wouldn't mention the other person...all you are concerned with is you get paid a fair wage for the job you do. They may say no, but if you put your case resonably, there is every chance they will say yes. Others may be able to offer some more suggestions too.

Good luck

Tinks

Thank you for your response, at least I have something to 'follow' rather than me thinking of it all at once! Yes, I was taken on full time when I finished my apprenticeship. To be honest, I am not looking for a pay increase (even though it would be very nice :-)), but if I am doing other tasks, that others are being paid more for, then I just do not see that to be very fair. It just feels that I need to get it off my chest. Thank you for your help. :-D

Probably wouldn't do any harm to mention as well that you really welcome the extra responsibilty and would welcome more...with the appropriate benefits of course.

Tinks

:|If you're going through hell, keep going! :|