Santander... some advice please fellow Caggers.

Shazzam

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I need some advice, well actually my boyfriend does. He and his ex-partner took out a credit card with Santander, he tells me he was the main cardholder and her name was added as a second card holder. She has now buggered off leaving him with a repayment of £6000. Santander then took her name off the account, leaving him the owner of this debt!! What a bitch I know. Anyhow, can they take her name off the account without his permission? He wants to pay half and then pass the debt to her, but I don't think it will work that way? But I'm not sure?

Any advice would be most grateful.

Cheers lovely people.

It's just a waiting game.....

:p;):lol: 8-)

Nat West Won = £4008 03/07 :D

Prelim Letter to Cap One - 25/01/08

Rejection Letter to Cap One - 03/02/08

LBA to Cap One - 11/02/08

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Welcome - 25/01/08

Received Statements - 08/02/08

Hello there can anyone give me some advice on this? mucho appreciated.:|

The people whose names it was taken out in are equally liable for the debt. It sounds like santander are up to their tricks again, where they cant trace or find the other party involved, so try and fudge the books to make it seem as if the other party is 100% liable.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Well I've gathered some other advice and its seems my boyfriend was the only one to sign the document, he then added her name as an extra card holder. Think he has been well and truly shafted by her, I do feel sorry for him.

I suggested to him to contact the debt department of Santander and cancel the account and see if they will move it over to a debt, at least that way he won't be paying interest rates on it.

I'm not sure how else he can deal with this as I think he completely liable for the amount.

Any further advice would be most grateful thankyou.

Ok. Can i ask when the last payment was made to the card, when the card was last used or the debt was acknowledged in writing?

Do you have full statements, as the debt could contain unfair charges/reclaimable PPI or penalty fees.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Ooo you've got me there lol! I'm not sure I will have to ask him, but knowing what a nice and honest guy he is he probably pays it monthly. I will gather some more info from in and get back to you.

Cheers for you time and patience it is very much appreciated.

WHat you can do, depending when the card was taken out, is send a CCA request. If its post 2007 i wouldn't bother, but if it's pre-2007 and they dont have the documents, they could stop chasing the debt completely and wipe it off. It's a long shot, but on a debt worth £6000, and for a £1 postal order, i think you'll agree, it's worth thinking about.

Hello there, the debt is post 2007 and he has paid monthly on it since he opened it. He still has both cards and they are registered to her address and not his. His is the only name on the contract. They are not chasing him for the debt as he is just paying the card off as it is still an active account.

I was going to suggest to him to request statements for each card. The one in his name and the one in hers, then see if they will separate the cards and chase her for the amount she owes. Would this work?

Cheers.

Oh he has never admitted that the debt is all his at any point. If he did get the two statements could he then say he is only willing to pay for the one he actually owes. He just doesn't want it to affect his credit rating if he defaults.

I think this warrants a SAR. £10 but it will get you all of the information they hold and should give you

1. Proof that she had a card for the account.

2. (Possibly) a way to see what she has spent on it.

3. (Possibly) a copy of the agreement or an admission that they do not have one.

Renegadeimp was right - you need to know if the account was originally started before April 2007.

Ok I will phone him later and find out about that, but I'm sure it was after. I will confirm later thank you for your reply.

Hi there, just been chatting to my boyfriend and unfortunately he has only had the card for a year and a half! I suggested he sends a SAR to them with £10 and hopefully he will be able to show her spending and his and then clear off his own name.

Is that the right option? :???:

• 1 month later...

as the account holder he should have/have access to all the statements for the account - I know my GF has her name on one of my cards for emergencies and I have one of hers - I get the statement for both of my cards and she gets it for both hers and the purchases are listed against 1 card or the other...so if its only 18 months old he can probably print that much information of his internet banking...

Also if the bank didn't keep him informed of the purchases what's to say the card got into wrong hands and fraudulently run up the debt?

...I suspect he's liable for all of it tho - can he get a 0% balance transfer else where as I'm assuming his credit is reasonable to have 6k with Santander? Not saying this shouldn't be fought but at least the interest will be less?

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

• 2 months later...

Hello I thought I'd carry on this thread. I hope its the right place to do this. My boyfriend has decided to try and get the money directly from his ex-girlfriend. Unfortunately his contract states he is liable for the account, but her name is on the card and so he is requesting all details of expense put on that card. Firstly he is going to write to her again and see if she will agree to a repayment plan.

I was wondering if there is a section on here for taking some one to small claims court, with perhaps a guidance of how to do so, maybe letter templates etc.

Much appreciate any help.