Do Stoma Bags Affect your chances of Getting A New Job?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4219 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

Following the problems I've mentioned elsewhere with long-term sickness and my present employer related to eye-surgery, my present employer has now announced the necessity of making 16 Level 3 Technicians redundant due to a drop in repair volumes, of which I am one of them!

I have already started searching for new employment and attended one interview locally for an Electronics Technician post much nearer home, but was advised on the phone by the recruitment agency chappie that my application had been unsuccessful!

My close friend has advised me that there are two factors against me, one being my age (51), which I'm well aware of, but he also said my stoma bag puts many potential employers off, and it doesn't help that many employer's application forms ask detailed health questions as well - do I have to mention a colostomy on these?

Whilst no employer is ever going to admit the reason why a potential candidate's application was unsuccessful, I have a question or two:-

1) Should I mention the stoma at interview stage? Given there's always a possibility of smells (!) from the thing which is embarassing to say the least if it occurs during a confidential job-interview!

2) Are there any other CAG members with stomas who've had difficulties getting new employment who can advise me on ways of maximising my chances?

3) Is it better to go back to the consultant who did the colostomy and discuss reversal with him or, in expert members opinion, would the time involved in waiting for a reversal leave me out of the job-market too long? Is it better to try and get a replacement job first before considering having the stoma I have reversed?

Chris Williams

Edited by Chris56000

I assume there was a reason for the procedure that was considered the best choice for your health at the time. Unless that has changed do you really want to endanger yur health for an uncertain job propsect imprpvement?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi!

In answer to Member Emmzzi, there was no doubt that the colostomy was done to safeguard my health, and the relief of all the pain and discomfort I was suffering "down below" made having the colostomy and the small extra effort of dealing with the bags, etc., well worth while!

However, as my close friend has said, I am naturally mindful that there is a potential problems with smells, etc., that could be off-putting at interviews!

Regards to my fitness for work generally, this is excellent in other respects, and the vision in my right eye-- the better one - which was most recently operated on for Cataract in February this year- is as good as it was before the cataract formed, apart from now needing close-up correction of course!

Chris Williams

no ethical doctor would allow you to endanger your health and quality of life for a job. personally i think your priorities are all wrong; also see becky's post above.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Are they only allowed to ask if you need adjustments at interview?

Technically, the application would have to say something like "please contact us if you are disabled and require any adjustments to attend an interview". Or if there's an assessment involved, you can check the candidate is fit enough to attend. You can also ask, for example where a job involves manual handling, whether the person is able to do that task, but not to go into any more detail. It's also lawful if the employer is actively trying to recruit disabled individuals for diversity reasons, or as part of a scheme where any disabled person is automatically offered an interview.