Used car - Ebay private seller

AndyC22
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I hope that someone here will be able to offer some advice.

I recently bought a MK5 Golf from a private seller on Ebay. The car was described as excellent condition etc and the seller is a mechanic and stated that all repairs / modifications had been carried out by him.

Got the car checked over by VW as a couple of Engine lights came on, and they have come back with a list of about 15 things wrong with the car, some of which are major parts that will cost a lot of money to fix.

I know I don't have many rights as I bought the car from a private seller and I am fully aware that I might have to suck it up and get rid of the car. :(

However I was just wondering if the fact that the seller stated that he was a mechanic and carried out all repairs himself (after saying that the car was in excellent condition) would give me any sort of right to complain that the car is falling apart a couple of weeks after I purchased it? If he did the work himself could it be his fault that the car is broken and do you think I could prove that he knew about the faults before selling it to me?

Thank you in advance for any advice, all help is much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Andy

Hi did you have a look at his feedback to see if has sold many cars. If he has then you MAY be able to treat him as a trader or complain to ebay that he is saying he is private seller and you think he is a trader.

dpick

Hi everyone,

I hope that someone here will be able to offer some advice.

I recently bought a MK5 Golf from a private seller on Ebay. The car was described as excellent condition etc and the seller is a mechanic and stated that all repairs / modifications had been carried out by him.

Got the car checked over by VW as a couple of Engine lights came on, and they have come back with a list of about 15 things wrong with the car, some of which are major parts that will cost a lot of money to fix.

I know I don't have many rights as I bought the car from a private seller and I am fully aware that I might have to suck it up and get rid of the car. :(

However I was just wondering if the fact that the seller stated that he was a mechanic and carried out all repairs himself (after saying that the car was in excellent condition) would give me any sort of right to complain that the car is falling apart a couple of weeks after I purchased it? If he did the work himself could it be his fault that the car is broken and do you think I could prove that he knew about the faults before selling it to me?

Thank you in advance for any advice, all help is much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Andy

If the car has been described as in exellent condition and it has been proved not to be the case you can first ask the seller to rectify the faults. If he refuses you can open a dispute with ebay. "Not significantly as described"

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Because he was a private seller does not mean you have no rights under soga. You just have less rights, ie title and description rather than title, description and quality for a trader. If the item was sold with a description of in excellent condition and it was not then it was misrepresented.

Butr ebay will take the buyers view of what is excellent and if the buyer disputes they normally refund the money and chase the seller.

Err.... where did you get that from? E bay wil tell you that they are merely an advertising medium and take no responsibility for any vehicle description. Obviously if you got 10 bad reports on you in a row as a seller they would ban yuo for a while, but DEFINITELY no refunds I'm afraid.

there is no pay pal protection on cars by the way....

Err.... where did you get that from? E bay wil tell you that they are merely an advertising medium and take no responsibility for any vehicle description. Obviously if you got 10 bad reports on you in a row as a seller they would ban yuo for a while, but DEFINITELY no refunds I'm afraid.

there is no pay pal protection on cars by the way....

Errr it happened to me I had a great eBay account and I sold something which was in great condition I even had the pics to prove it. Buyer decided they didn't want it raised a dispute with eBay who did not look at any of my evidence. They refunded the buyer and chased me for payment. My eBay account had over 90 stars and 100% positive feedback.

It also may help if he answers the question put in post #2

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Any description on Second hand items applies to at point of sale.

A second hand car can develop all sorts of problems at any point in its lifespan, as any car owner will vouch for.

If at the point of sale the vehicle was as described, which by paying you formulate a contract then that is usually the end of the sellers Liability in a private sale.

If it were not, at what point would you cease to hold the seller liable for repairs to what is now your car ?.

Six months ? Twelve ? for life ?

The term is Caveat Emptorasin buyer beware.

However if ebay have some redress then this may be an option.

Expert on Parking matters, Banned by MSE ! along with other parking experts on orders of the BPA !

here to SAVE you money !

Any description on Second hand items applies to at point of sale.

A second hand car can develop all sorts of problems at any point in its lifespan, as any car owner will vouch for.

If at the point of sale the vehicle was as described, which by paying you formulate a contract then that is usually the end of the sellers Liability in a private sale.

If it were not, at what point would you cease to hold the seller liable for repairs to what is now your car ?.

Six months ? Twelve ? for life ?

The term is Caveat Emptorasin buyer beware.

However if ebay have some redress then this may be an option.

That's the key, but we don't know because the OP hasn't answered the question posed in post #2. If it turns out that the seller is in fact a trader, the situation changes dramatically.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.