Meter readings the wrong way round since meter installed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I really hope someone can help me with this.

I attempted to input my Eon readings last night and to my horror, I noticed that all previous readings have been in-putted the wrong around. The Normal rate appears in the Night rate box & visa versa.

Eon have sent their meter readers round several times over the course of the last 5 years and not once has this error been noticed or rectified.

I rang Eon to report this (about an hour ago) and was told that I have to ring them back later this afternoon as they are currently experiencing a data issue on their servers and they can't access the information they need to in order to deal with my issue.

The man I spoke to did say that the readings have been wrong since 2007 which was when the meter was installed and the bills will be amended and back-dated to 2007.

Obviously, I'm worried that I've been underpaying for the last 5 years and will now face a huge bill that I cannot afford.

I have read up on the billing code and I think I should be covered under this, which means they'll likely ask for back payments for the last 12 months but my argument is as follows:

If I have been underpaying, and it's because they have incorrectly set the meter up/failed to notice any errors until I reported them, why should I have to pay them anything?

Eon's method of inputting meter readings in online is hugely flawed. Once the readings are in-putted incorrectly, there's absolutely no way of rectifying it. It automatically sets this as the preferred order which means all subsequent readings in-putted thereafter are incorrect.

I would really appreciate some advice on how to take this forward.

I am dreading ringing them back in a couple of hours time. I have enough on my hands at the moment without entering into a lengthy battle with Eon.

Thank you for reading this and thank you in advance to anyone who responds.

Hi Stuvan

I'm sorry we weren't able to give you a proper response when you called earlier. There have been system issues today that have caused a few headaches.

This is possibly a case of transposed meter readings.

With two rate Economy 7 meters, the readings can be recorded the wrong way round. Night usage is recorded as day usage and vice versa.

We've a team dedicated to sorting this type of thing. They'll put things right so that future readings are recorded correctly and re-bill the account back to the time it went wrong.

Any overcharge will be refunded.

Sometimes, where the bulk of usage has been charged previously at the lower night rate, re-billing at the correct higher day rate will put a debit balance on the account. This is where the Billing Code might kick in.

Under the Billing Code, where we're at fault, we'll not charge for any energy used over 12 months from the date the issue was put right.

Not saying this is the case with you but, if it is, ask for the Billing Code to be applied.

It would help move things along if you can take meter readings about an hour apart. During this time, please use a high capacity appliance like a kettle. This will help us establish which register is which.

Transposed readings are linked to the systems used by the meter operators for the region. Consequently, we'll need to liaise with the metering guys to make sure the problem is sorted at the source.

Our website pulls the information from this source. If this has been wrong from the start, our website won't recognise a discrepancy.

I agree, though, this is something the meter readers should have picked up on. Really sorry they didn't.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction Stuvan. Give me a shout if I can help further as will be happy to do so.

Malc

Thank you Malc.

I think my issue has been resolved now.

Apparently, my day & night rate are charged at the same price so the figures being the wrong way round won't affect my bill.

At least this is what I have been told by the very helpful lady I spoke to the second time I rang.

The guy I spoke to initially, seemed to just try to fob me off with incorrect information.

I will be sure to update this thread if I need to.

Thanks again Malc.

No problem Stuvan. Glad to help.

Sounds as though you're on an unrestricted tariff. This is where we charge all usage at the day rate even though you've a two-rate meter. We just add the night and day together.

Because Economy 7 tariffs have a premium day rate and lower night rate, it can be cheaper to have the unrestricted option where night usage is relatively low.

There's no specific threshold when Economy 7 becomes cheaper as it depends on the prices and the region. It can range between 35% and 55%. We can tell you though.

By all means give me a shout if you need any more help Stuvan.

Malc