Hi... SOGA advice re used car pleeease!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I'm new here and am desperately looking for help!!

I brought a used car from a private dealer 6 weeks ago.

Its a 06 reg diesel fiesta with 72000 miles. £3600. It was part ex for £3k and £600 cash.

The dealer was selling from his home and had around 10 cars for sale. He had a website and gave me an invoice in a company name....

It was sold as serviced... but i have since found out that the dealer who 'stamped' in the book did not service the car!

Today the turbo in the engine blew and the ford mechanic thinks this will have knackered my engine too.

I was offered a private warranty at the cost of £200, but the small print said it had to have full service history and this was missing 1 service so it rendered it useless as the terms were broken so declined it.

Having read up on the SOGA i think i may have a case as the car clearly was not of satisfactory quality when it was sold to me. I have had it 6 weeks (2 of which i was on holiday) and its done 1000 miles since i brought it. I dont believe a fault like this can develop in such a short time and therefore it must have been a fault when i brought the car 6 weeks ago.

Can anyone give me any advice???

Thanks.

Rachel xxx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the link, but i could do with some specific advice re my case....

I read the phrase:

Customers are entitled to

vehicles of ‘satisfactory

quality’. This means more

than just ensuring the

vehicle is safe and

roadworthy – the vehicle

should be fit for use on the

road, in a condition which

reflects its age and price,

and reliable.

I dont think my car fits this, it did 1000 miles in 6 weeks and then blew up!

The fault therefore MUST have been present (ie: the turbo was on its last legs!!) before i brought it.

However, it is 6 years old and 72000 miles..... but the price reflected a car that was perfect (you can pick them up for under £3k, and i paid £3600 to get a 'good example'!) but i think that having a car that blows up after 6 weeks is NOT reliable!!

Help with specific advice pls! :)

How do you know that the car was not serviced?

Onus is on the seller to prove that the fault wasn't present when you bought the car. You should first contact the seller to report the problem and give him the opportunity to inspect and rectify. If he fobs you off, you should back up your conversation in writing giving him seven days to respond. I would also mention that the car wasn't serviced (and indicate how you know this). By the way, the warranty is irrelevant in any event as it is merely an extension to your statutory rights which you already have under the SOGA.

Keep us updated please.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Although it doesn't affect your claim against the dealer under soga, Just out of interest how do you know the dealer who stamped the service book did not actually service the vehicle?

As sailor sam says, make sure you contact the dealer. It is important that you give them the opportunity to inspect and repair the vehicle so don't go getting it fixed else where just yet.

I called the garage while I was waiting for them to do work on the air con unit before the sale as I felt I was getting fobbed off by the seller. They told me directly that they did not service the vehicle, they only MOT and sorted the air con .... Yet their stamp is now in the service book!