cluttermoney

Is this fraudulant activity by owners?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2601 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, just a quick question here, I have found out that the director/sole owner of the company I work for has been employing family members on full time wages for a considerable amount of time. The family members are never in the office, have a corp email, or are on the phone system.

I have also seen a large amount of personal expenses from the owners family such as computers, laptops, flights for holidays etc being claimed through the company.

In my eyes this is fraud, and as I will be leaving soon I wish to wipe the smile of this dishonest person's face.

Is this fraud? and how serious is it?

Who do I report it to?

What usually happens after it's reported?

Many thanks :)

CM.

Run it by the tax people and let them decide

I wouldnt have thought the tax people would mind if you were employing someone and paying PAYE when you shouldnt be, afterall it's more income for them? :)

Do you know if his family have shares in the company or do any work for the company off the premises? Such as tax affairs, advertising , consultancy or generating new business?

If you don't know, you might look foolish by trying to whistle blow.

You will find a great many people, incl. MPs, employ their wives as secretaries and hence have to buy them computers and internet access etc. In addition they will pay these "secretaries" just enough salary to use up their tax free pay. I wouldn't let it worry you; if they are savy business people they will be keeping just the right side of .the law. Remember you probably don't have full access to the company accounts so maybe don't know the full picture.

As long as he is doing it through the books then why shouldnt he employ family? and if they dont do any work, well, its his business so really he can do what he likes.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.