Manpower/reed/Hayes - my various employment woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My contract with Barclays was to end in jan 2012, however berclays have have told about 100 temp staff the contracts will not be renewed and are ending anytime in the next 4 weeks.

Is there a consultation period of 90 days before they can get rid of you?

Have been offered a job elsewhere, is it wise to just leaves barclays now (as job can end anytime) and take the other job elswhere as at least you won't be out of a job when the barclays job ends, please advise

Edited by Purpleflowers 2

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I signed up with reed 6 months ago and was in a job, after 3 months I asked to leave the job I was in and wanted to go for another job with reed elsewhere, so I was put for for an interview at this other place, cut a long story short, i was ill at the date of the interview and told reed before hand.

Now my contract which reed gave me has ended, reed are not putting me forward for any jobs that I am applying trough the reed web site, i rang reed and was told "you let use down.........because you did not turn up for the interview"

I told them I was ill so you was made aware, so now they are refusing to respond to my emails or jobs that i apply through the reed web site

it appears that all the staff at this partcular office have been instructed to do the same, what can i do?

i stuck my contract that reed gave me all the way to the end to show my loyality and now reed are refusing to take my applications, refuse to repond to my emails..................etc

How long was the original contract for? How much notice would you have to give if YOU decided to walk away?

I presume that you meant to say that the contract was due to end in Jan 2013 not 2012?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

they put you in a contract and you lasted 3 months before wanting to move - they look bad

they put you in for an interview and you were a no show - they look bad.

I'd take you off my books too. Sorry. You have no legal recourse and no right to be put forward for anything. There are enough job hunters at the moment that I could afford to put only reliable ones forward. You have burned your boats here, try another agency.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Don't be too despondant... after all, Reed are not a serious Headhunter type of Recruitment Consultants... they are simply one of a plethora of high street telesales agencies. Although staff may be lucky enough to have secured employed within Reed, it is not as if the type of company contributes anything to wealth creation in the UK.

How does this relate to your other thread about Reed? I got the impression you were out of work due to leaving the last contract and that they wouldn't now find you another job....

It would be helpful to keep your threads together so people can advise you knowing the full facts.

I found the job through reed agency, but the contract was with barclays, the contract shows the end date as 1st Jan 2013 and when I went to reed to register with them, i was told the job was 7 months and would end 1st jan.

now barclays tell us all temp contracts are ending in the next 4 weeks and not 1st jan 2013, is this a breach and are we being treated wrong as we are temp staff?

should they not have said that people who contracts is till 1st jan 2013, will not be renewed?

something does not look right here

How long was the original contract for? How much notice would you have to give if YOU decided to walk away?

I presume that you meant to say that the contract was due to end in Jan 2013 not 2012?

Ah, I see...

Are you employed direct by Barclays or the agency? Legally, they aren't doing anything wrong either way. Case law clearly states that merely ending a fixed term contract isn't enough to bring a claim on the grounds of suffering a detriment for being a fixed term employee. If you had over a years service that would be different!

i asked for another job even though the contract was 7 months and till 1st jan and reed said o.k, they gave me a date for interview, i informed them on the day i was unable to attend due to not feeling well.

so instead of 'jumping ship' as you imply - i stayed right until the end of my contract, which was supposed to end 1st jan 2013, but is now ending in next 4 weeks due to all temp staff being asked to leave by end of next month

i have stayed until the end of the contract, stayed loyal

can't see what the problem is with reed, temp staff can asked to be moved and can apply for other jobs and your role can always be filled in - thats agency work for you, so why does this particular branch of reed now have a problem with me - not putting me forward for jobs, not relplying to emails...............etc

and their excuse "you let us down.........." is feeble, let them down for what -

1. i stayed right to the end of my contratct

2. i informed reed i was unwell to attend the interview at the other place

3. i was informed by reed the only way they would put me forward for other jobs would be if i resigned from my present job (i stayed loyal and did not resign)

4. this particular branch of reed must have some note on my records saying don't follow up and don't give her a job, as whoever i speak to tells me the same thing

this is not what a professional agency is about, the staff are not being helpful and professional, they are giving the company a bad name

they put you in a contract and you lasted 3 months before wanting to move - they look bad

they put you in for an interview and you were a no show - they look bad.

I'd take you off my books too. Sorry. You have no legal recourse and no right to be put forward for anything. There are enough job hunters at the moment that I could afford to put only reliable ones forward. You have burned your boats here, try another agency.

i have not left the last contract, i have stayed to the end only to be told like 200 other temp staff our contracts are ending, so i ask reed to find me another job because of whats happened and they don't want to know

How does this relate to your other thread about Reed? I got the impression you were out of work due to leaving the last contract and that they wouldn't now find you another job....

It would be helpful to keep your threads together so people can advise you knowing the full facts.

found the job through reed, but employed though barclays, contracts states its till 1st jan 2012 and barclays are ending the contract 1st nov 2012 - which is 2 months early and reed are fobbing me off by claiming i let them down for being unwell to attend an interview for another job a while ago

Ah, I see...

Are you employed direct by Barclays or the agency? Legally, they aren't doing anything wrong either way. Case law clearly states that merely ending a fixed term contract isn't enough to bring a claim on the grounds of suffering a detriment for being a fixed term employee. If you had over a years service that would be different!

Reading this together with your other thread it would appear that your contract is to end early, the agency are being difficult in finding you another placement, but that you do have another job together?

Taking all of that into account, are we to assume that although you do have another job available you would rather have Reed find you something different? Why?

There is no action available to take against your existing employer - they have correctly given notice that the fixed term contract is to end early. You also have little recourse against Reed, unless you perhaps want to complain about their attitude towards you, but make sure that you are absolutely in the right first, as I suspect that the staff there may well have a different story.

Personally I would go with the alternative job offer and if you still want to use the services of an agency to find you something different/better then consider registering with another agency and move on - I do not believe that you are likely to be able to force Reed to find you another position, particularly if the relationship there has been damaged for whatever reason.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

The other job offer is open for me to take, but I am in 2 minds, should I stay at barclays until we get told to go (anytime in next 4 weeks) or should i take the job offer, don't know what to do?

will it effect my reference if i leave barclays early before being asked to leave and what about p45?

what would people my place shoes do?

Reading this together with your other thread it would appear that your contract is to end early, the agency are being difficult in finding you another placement, but that you do have another job together?

Taking all of that into account, are we to assume that although you do have another job available you would rather have Reed find you something different? Why?

There is no action available to take against your existing employer - they have correctly given notice that the fixed term contract is to end early. You also have little recourse against Reed, unless you perhaps want to complain about their attitude towards you, but make sure that you are absolutely in the right first, as I suspect that the staff there may well have a different story.

Personally I would go with the alternative job offer and if you still want to use the services of an agency to find you something different/better then consider registering with another agency and move on - I do not believe that you are likely to be able to force Reed to find you another position, particularly if the relationship there has been damaged for whatever reason.

Nobody is forced to stay in a job, and providing that you give the required notice - should be a week, but check your contract in case it is more - then write a letter of resignation along the lines of:-

Dear Sir,

I am writing to reluctantly tender my resignation from the position of {POSITION} and hereby give the required notice that I will be leaving and that my last working day will be {DATE}.

As you will be aware, my contract was due to end in January 2013, however with the recent news that this date is to be brought forward to {DATE}, I have been worried about continued employment, and an opportunity has arisen elsewhere which will allow me to remain in work. The vacancy is not likely to still be available if I wait until my contract is terminated with Barclays.

I am grateful for the opportunity to work for Barclays and am sorry to be leaving earlier than expected, however I trust that you understand my position in the current economic climate.

Yours Faithfully,

Should do the trick.

• Confused 1

DONATE HERE

The letter above looks good to me, I'd send something like that and take the other job.

Although it is unfair that Barclays are ending the contract early, you don't have much legal recourse with regards to this, your contract will likely specify that either you or they can end the contract with a given notice period.

Regarding Reed, if you feel strongly that they are being obstructive, you could raise a complaint, but whether or not you do this I would use another agency in the meantime. You may find that Reed get back in touch with you in 6 months or so to see if you are available.

• 1 month later...

I have the impression that, when you make a complaint, it's better to complain about the organization and never about the single person. You might then tailor your complaint to match the personality of your 'target' so that it is clear who you are talking about.

All my complaints about individual DWP staff have been rejected and all my complaints about the DWP have been accepted.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"