SRJ letters for my Father's debt to my address

veedubber

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3525 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - brief run down: my Father (57) passed away suddenly in February. As he was not married to his relatively new GF and I being the legal next of kin had to close all his bank accounts etc using the death cert. His then GF took over the other utilities & closed his other accounts. This evening I arrived to a letter addressed to my Father at my home address (I live in a different town to where he did).

It read:

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxx Xxxxx

We have made enquiries for confirmation of your current place of residence. Information has been received confirming that your address details have changed to this address.

Due to data protection legislation details of the account are not included in this letter.

Please call us immediately on 08453137203 quoting the above reference for more information.

Yours sincerely,

SRJ"

This upset me greatly as you can imagine. I have never lived with my Father since being about 2! and never shared or lived in any residence with him since then. I was baffled why they would use my address and address it to him.

I decided to call them to give them some flack using a withheld phone number. I would not tell them my name or give them any personal details or identifiable information other than that my Father died in February and that it was extremely distressing. The SRJ worker was inept of any actual personality or understanding and stated insolently "We weren't to know he was dead". After more arrogant remarks and sarcasm he stated that he would need a death certificate posting "as proof" with a letter. My patience wearing thin I told him I was not going to spend my time/effort and money on a stamp etc. They said they would accept a scanned copy in an email and that he would close the account and inform the company of the debt owed of his death. Of course he would not go into details about what was owed etc. No apology, nothing.

Having dealt with debt companies in the past for my patients (im a psychy nurse) I know what rotweillers these people can be, but what concerns me is how they obtained my address? Are they just trying it on? Could this be linked to me closing his bank accounts? Perhaps I shouldn't have called them but I was so upset I was raging and am still raw from my fathers unexpected death. I just dont want extra stress/upset.

Has only one else been in a similar situation etc? Can anyone advise on what to do?

Many thanks :)

Firstly - so sorry to hear of your loss.

Stay off the phone in future - these people will not hesitate to try and get you to take responsibility for anything which is outstanding. Keep everything in writing and make sure your responses are kept to the bare minimum - ie that the person whom they seek has sadly passed and that you will not be entering into further correspondence. If they want a DC this is a public document and they are free to obtain one through the normal channels if they wish.

If they continue to write then use their complaints procedure to the full and follow up with a harassment letter.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thank you Sidewinder

I know I shouldn't have called but was so upset at the time! They have none of my personal info/name/or contact number but I will not speak with them again.

Thank you for the info on what procedures to go through. Forgot about the public records, thank u.

You don't really have to do anything, as your fathers credit record should have been noted by his bank, as deceased. So any companies dealing with any debts, will see this from checking his record. I suspect your address has also been noted on the credit record, as a linked address, but it would not have explained why it was linked. So I think you may get similar letters to this one again in the future.

I would suggest sending a standard letter back. But to advise on the content of the letter, we would need to know whether you had any official role i.e. executor. Was there an executor or solicitors dealing with the estate / Has your fathers estate now been closed, with any assets now divided as required ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Uncle, my Father died without a will and had no proper estate to leave and did not own his property. His £8k of savings were taken by his bank to pay off the loan he had with them. He was a bit silly and had all his savings and loans with the same bank. No solicitor/executor was involved as it didnt need probate.

Could this now affect my credit history if my address is linked to it? I have just spent the past 5 years trying to get mine back on track and am finally back in black with all my old debts I accrued as a student.

These people anger me greatly. I must stress that the letter was addressed to my father's name specifically; not to me. AS my parents divorced from myself being a baby, we have never resided as the same address.

Hi Uncle, my Father died without a will and had no proper estate to leave and did not own his property. His £8k of savings were taken by his bank to pay off the loan he had with them. He was a bit silly and had all his savings and loans with the same bank. No solicitor/executor was involved as it didnt need probate.

Could this now affect my credit history if my address is linked to it? I have just spent the past 5 years trying to get mine back on track and am finally back in black with all my old debts I accrued as a student.

These people anger me greatly. I must stress that the letter was addressed to my father's name specifically; not to me. AS my parents divorced from myself being a baby, we have never resided as the same address.

Check your credit record to see if anything is shown that links to your father. It should not. But anyway as there is nothing that links you financially, it will not affect you.

https://www.noddle.co.uk/

I would suggest sending any future letters back, with a covering letter.

Please note that Mr .................... died on .................. and confirmation may be obtained from the General Register Office, by paying the appropriate fee to them.

Please be aware that rules of intestacy apply and that there were no assets held, with the only money available kept by the deceaseds bank to offset against existing loans.

I have no idea why you have written to my address, as I have not lived with my father since a young age. I just happened to be the next of kin and therefore had to deal with a few matters. Please confirm that you have received this letter and that you will not make contact again. If you persist in writing, I will register a complaint with the OFT.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Your address cannot be blacklisted (it is illegal to do so) & unless you are financially linked i.e had a joint a/c, loan etc with your father it will not affect your credit rating.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT