wonderingasking

When to start looking for a room?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2519 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I am receiving housing benefits, the landlord has told me to move out by 18th October because they need the room. I have paid the rent til the 18th.

I had big trouble finding this room because people dont want to rent out to people on benefits and many of them cant give you a tenancy agreement because they are not allowed to rent out rooms.

If I find a room now, will I be able to get HB for that room now or wont I get it until the 19th?

I am worried that I wont find a room with an agreement but at the same time I cant pay a room on my own if I find one tomorrow.

I am scared of ending up in a hostel since I have bad experience from that and they wouldnt pay all of that.

I live in East London now but I am interesting in a room anywhere in London.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I wonder if this is the sort of problem Shelter could help with? Hopefully the guys will be along with other thoughts for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Ask your local HB office about claiming dual HB. HB reg 7(6) d & 7 allow you to receive HB on both homes for up to 4 weeks if you have moved into the new home but your local authority agrees you could not reasonably have avoided liability for rent on both the new and old home (eg because you had to accept the new tenancy and move quickly and had to give notice at your old home). This rule ONLY applies if you have moved into the new home.

Different rules apply when fleeing violence, awaiting adaptations, waiting for a social fund payment in certain circumstances, and moving from a care home or hospital when you can claim for the new property before moving in.