MBNA Account Number problem

Mazza954
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have tried to contact MBNA on numerous occasions to raise a complaint about the PPI i had on a credit card which I held with them between 1996 until 2002. I do still have the majority of the credit card statements, although I no longer have the card itself. The problem I have is that the account number quoted on all statements is only 10 digits long and MBNA cannot find this on their systems. Has anybody else come up against this problem and if so how or who did you speak to obtain the information? Also do you think MBNA will consider my claim as it goes back so many years and i no longer hold a credit card with them?

Any help or suggestions on the best way forward with this would be much appreciated I feel like I am going round in circles!:|

I would have thought if you could provide them with a copy of the statement, then they could find you on their system. We know for a fact that they are able to provide people with data way back as far as 1996..

Was this a conventional credit card ? I will try and find someone who can help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It was a regular credit card, I am in the fortunate position of being able to provide them with the statements bar a few for the period of Nov97 to Dec01, the problem I am encountering is who is the best person to contact to 'get the ball rolling' so to speak, as the general PPI complaints line say they have no record of this account and the number is incorrect.

Also during my search of old papers I came across a booklet which was MBNAs T&C's and in the back is a slip which you are to complete if you want the PPI, it is still in the book not completed so it kind of suggests I never actaully signed up to have the PPI in the first placeHopefully I can use this in my case.

MBNA only started using the credit card number (12 dgits) for the account numbers around June 2004, which replaced their 10-digit account number. Don't know the reason for it.

They also only seem to keep the last 3 credit card numbers on their system, so if your card number has changed 4 or more times, they usually find it difficult to find your records if you quote an older number....which may explain what has happened in your case.

MBNA only started using the credit card number (12 dgits) for the account numbers around June 2004, which replaced their 10-digit account number. Don't know the reason for it.

They also only seem to keep the last 3 credit card numbers on their system, so if your card number has changed 4 or more times, they usually find it difficult to find your records if you quote an older number....which may explain what has happened in your case.

I spoke with somebody in the customer advocates office this morning who said I should send a letter to the archive office to obtain the detaIls of my account. I decided at that point to go down the SAR route, was getting fed up being passed from department to department none of them able to access my information. At least now they will have to do the investigation and provide me with all historical data and paperwork. SAR posted this morning recorded delivery and £10 cheque enclosed. Let's see what they can find. Thing is I have most of my statements so didn't really need all the information they will subsequently have to trace but if they are unable to give me any further details on the phone,having all the data can only strengthen my case. I'll keep you informed of my progress.

I am surprised nobody else has come up against this problem if the a/ c numbers only changed in 2004, surely there are others who have reclaimed prior to 2004?

I must admit, no one has mentioned this before. Although we have had people reclaiming PPI from 1996. I wonder if these are ones that eventually ended up with the 16 digit number, so the problem with the 10, didnt arise!

I was going to suggest that you send a complaint to their head office....

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I must admit, no one has mentioned this before. Although we have had people reclaiming PPI from 1996. I wonder if these are ones that eventually ended up with the 16 digit number, so the problem with the 10, didnt arise!

I was going to suggest that you send a complaint to their head office....

This might have something to do with the number of older card numbers they keep on their system. If the card only changed once or twice then all the numbers might still be there.

I've seen it with DSAR requests to MBNA when the request is made with a particular card number. You may get all the comms logs because that's part of the "account" information held (assuming they can find your account), but you'll probably only receive statements for that particular card number and maybe the one immediately preceeding it, but if your card number has changed a lot you won't get all the statements going back to the start of the account unless you list all your card numbers. I've seen this happen with several accounts although that is probably only anecdotal evidence given the millions of accounts they must have.

you are not the only one .. I just recently found a box with old statements in and it looks like my MBNA account number has changed 4 times.

My original account number was also a 10 digit number .. and it looks like it changed to a 16 digit number.

My interest is that i have sent a SAR to MBNA quoting my latest account number as i was sure i had been charged PPI.

But when i looked at the mosr recent statements i had nothing showed ... but one afternoon i found a box in the lft containing some eirlier statements from 03 onward ... and wham Payment Protection Cover lol so now i waiting to see just what i receive back.