Missed SORN deadline

alun bryant
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I took my Triumph off the road in 2003 and informed DVLA it was SORN.

I thought that was that until I wanted to tax it again. Wrong!!

I read in the press that new rules insist you declare SORN every year otherwise your car could be crushed!!!

This is where it starts. Informed DVLA in 2011 I wish to renew SORN, they can't find any record of my car and want V5, birth certificate etc to reunite my car and me.

DVLA sent confirmation of SORN but did not return V5. After a couple of letters and about 6 months I receive a new V5c to my disgust, wanted my old one back. Anyway I was happy because now everything was legal again.

Then the June 2012 deadline passed and I completely forgot to declare SORN again as there was no reminder. This was until I received a late licence penalty in Sept.

This is when I made my mistake, I told them I didn't want it taxed, didn't have insurance or MOT and the vehicle is off road, and submitted a late SORN.....If only I had said I had posted it.....But I guess I'm too honest!

I now face a fine and arrears of duty for a car that has not seen tarmac since 2003.

If I take this to court, do I have a leg to stand on? Or should I just pay-up?

It's a blatant money making sc@m by the DVLA that has the full backing of this sham of a government. However, saying that, you still need to follow the law, unless you can provide a good reason why you shouldnt have to pay. The law is quite clear about this issue. If its stored off road and not being used, it must be SORN.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Having said that you would think that telling them it was SORN would apply until you tell them otherwise (either you had it crushed or you are ready to put it back on the road). I din't realise you had to do it every year. I seems daft telling them "yes it's still off the road". Rather than just assuming that as you hadn't told them it wasn't.

and how do you think they would manage to fill their coffers with ill-gotten fines if they made it that easy for the motorist CCMRob?? :madgrin:

Im in the same boat as you I have a car been in my garage stripped down and rebuilt. Last time it was on the road was 2007 how do I go about getting a new tax disc. I thought with the car being in bits it was not raod worthy so I did not have to sorn it. What do I do now ???

SORN is a money making sc@m. Plain and simple. The conservatives have also made a new law that says the car must be insured all the time unless its SORN. SO they force you to do it, and indeed remember to redo the SORN notice under financial penalty.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D